cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS T3i will not turn on

PDBRIC
Apprentice

I just sent my EOS T3i into Canon support for repair.  The camera went from working fine to not powering on at all.  I spent quite a bit of time researching and troublshooting and finally had to send it in for repair.  I do not know specifically what is wrong with the camera at this point, but believe it is likely the power PCB.   From my research, it appears that this is a relatively common problem across their camera models.

My camera is +/- 4 years old and I have always been very careful with it (always in case when not in use, not used in bad environments, not dropped or banged, protected from dust, etc.)   I really only use the camera for occasional family pictures. In other words, there is no reason that the camera should be broken other than poor construction / quality.

The quote I recieved for the "flat rate repair" was $203.   If I had dropped the camera or dunked it in a pool, then I'd think that was a pretty good deal.  For a camera that is well cared for an only occasionally used, I think this is a ripoff.  It's half to a third of the cost of the camera new body (I bought the kit, with two lenses and bag for ~$700.)    I guess the thing that irritates me the most is the number of people who apparently have had the same issue.  Their cameras just suddenly die, requiring a hefty repair cost.  Why can't Canon address this issue?   I paid for this repair, but if it happens again, I'm selling my remaining Canon gear and switching to Nikon.  

1 REPLY 1

diverhank
Authority

@PDBRIC wrote:

...  Their cameras just suddenly die, requiring a hefty repair cost.  Why can't Canon address this issue?   I paid for this repair, but if it happens again, I'm selling my remaining Canon gear and switching to Nikon.  

Sorry to hear about your troubles...equipment does break that's why the guarantee is only for one year.  Even though I must admit I've been lucky...all of my Canon cameras, including an old AE-1 Program film camera, when I retired them, remained in perfect working conditions.

Regarding switching to Nikon...I don't have all the facts but I heard Nikon product support is a whole lot worse than Canon, including repair cost,  if you believe the photography forums.

================================================
Diverhank's photos on Flickr
National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements