07-16-2018 04:36 PM
Thanks to everybody who tried to help me with this. It's taken me awhile to get back to this.
The auto-focus is now working and I wanted to explain why, so that anybody who reads this link in the future can see how I got to the end result.
1. I began to realize that, even in the manual focus position, my camera lens was not focusing. It wasn't focusing when I physically turned the lens at all.
2. It finally occured to me that it was the lens, and not the camera that having a problem.
3. Fortunately, I have a long distance lens that I rarely use, so I tried it out on the camera body instead.
4. The auto focus on the long distance lens worked just fine!
5. That proved the lens was the problem, and not the camera.
6. So today I went on line and typed in "EFS 18-55 lens auto focus not working".
7. It brought me to a different Cannon Community topic train of messages.
8. And this is what it said.
(Just to be accurate, in my case, followed the instruction given by Julio several times. I did not hear any kind of a "Click" or "Snap", but when I put the lens back on the camera the auto-focus worked).
From Julio at Cannon:
"it does sound like it could be the motor in the lens. We have found that sometimes we're able to remedy this without a costly repair, but it is a multi-stepped process.