cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS T3i macro lens will not turn or focus

kelsey
Apprentice

On my Cannon EOS Rebel T3i, when I place the macro lens on the camera, it will not turn or focus (by hand or automatically, whether it's in auto focus or manual) almost like it's stuck. The zoom lens for this camera functions normally when it's attached so I'm thinking it's a problem with the lens itself. Is there anything else I can try or is the lens broken for good?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Take a look at the solution in the following thread posted by Canon Product Expert Julius.

http://community.usa.canon.com/t5/Lenses/Autofocus-not-working-18-55mm-lens/m-p/138114#U138114

[EDIT]  That is not a macro lens, BTW.  The word "macro" appears on the lens body to tell you what the MFD, Minimum Focusing Distance, or macro distance, is for that particular lens.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@kelsey wrote:

On my Cannon EOS Rebel T3i, when I place the macro lens on the camera, it will not turn or focus (by hand or automatically, whether it's in auto focus or manual) almost like it's stuck. The zoom lens for this camera functions normally when it's attached so I'm thinking it's a problem with the lens itself. Is there anything else I can try or is the lens broken for good?

What is the model number of the macro lens that is giving your problems?  How far away is the front of the lens away from the subject that you're trying to photograph? 

Do you think you have sufficient light?  Do you ever see the blinking ball in the viewfinder, in the bottom right corner, when you try to unsuccessfully focus?

I'm not sure where the model number is, but it's an EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II (if that helps).

It doesn't matter if I'm trying to focus on something one foot away or ten feet away (or anything inbetween), when I attempt to auto focus, it doesn't even try to move (nor does it make a noise like it's trying), and when I attempt to focus manually, it doesn't turn easily (and I certainly don't want to force it). There is the blinking green ball when it can't focus but when I attach the other lens, it isn't a problem.

Take a look at the solution in the following thread posted by Canon Product Expert Julius.

http://community.usa.canon.com/t5/Lenses/Autofocus-not-working-18-55mm-lens/m-p/138114#U138114

[EDIT]  That is not a macro lens, BTW.  The word "macro" appears on the lens body to tell you what the MFD, Minimum Focusing Distance, or macro distance, is for that particular lens.

THANK YOU!!! The solution posted by Julius fixed it!

Announcements