cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS T3 Not Autofocusing

billyh
Apprentice

I am a novice with my Rebel EOS T3 so forgive me if I'm not using the correct terminology...

When I depress the button half way, it's not autofocusing and it's not even letting me take a blurry picture. I have it in the green rectangle, "Full Auto" setting and confirmed it is AF mode and not in MF. Have tried resetting the camera to factory setting but that didn't solve my problems.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

TIA

Bill

3 REPLIES 3

billyh
Apprentice
Also, I'm not having any of these problems when my 55-250mm lens is attached, only the original 18-55 mm lens.

Thanks again!

This certainly pins the problem on the lens and not the camera.

There can be many reasons why the lens isn't focusing even though auto-focus is enabled.  There might be a loose internal wiring connection.  Do you hear any noise when you attempt to focus?  Can you manually focus?

Have a look at this thread:  http://community.usa.canon.com/t5/Lenses/Autofocus-not-working-18-55mm-lens/m-p/138114#U138114

If you are unable to get the auto-focus working then normally we'd suggest send a lens for repair... except that this lens is very low priced in the entry range and the cost of repair may exceed its value.  

The EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II has been replaced with the newer EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM lens. The new STM lens has noticeably quieter focusing, faster focusing, better image stabilization, and improved optics but the price tag is increased $50.

You can still get the non-STM version (new price is $199), but the STM version is $249 and frankly it's well worth the extra $50.

At the high end, the EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM lens is about $780 (with rebate) which has the fast focus and collects significantly more light (it's a much better lens) for shooting in low-light situations.  But it's about 3x the price tag as the STM version.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

"... only the original 18-55 mm lens."

Does the combo work when you set it to MF?

This lens can skip a gear so maybe you can force it back to where it should be.

Remove it and slowly move the focus ring all the way out and back.  If it clicks, it is a sign it skipped a tooth.  Don't force it.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements