cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS Rebel and Windows XP

skgreenwood
Apprentice

I have a Canon EOS Rebel. My computer is Windows XP. I cannot get my computer to recognize my camera. The setting on my camera is set to PTP. Please Help!! I have some wonderful pictures on my camera I need to get off! Thank you!

7 REPLIES 7

Jchafitz
Enthusiast

Are you inputting directly through the camera?  If that isn't working, take the card out of the camera & use the computer's card slot input, (or get a card reader if your computer doesn't have one) & see if that works. 

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Which Rebel?

You did: change the setting in menu > the last icon > communication > change from PC to print/ptp. You should be able to communicate with XP.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

skgreenwood
Apprentice
Thank you for all the suggestions. I did have to end up getting a card reader. I ended up calling the Support at Canon, which by the way they are extremely helpful and kind! They thought my port might be going bad. I purchased a Compact Flash card reader (key words are Compact Flash) from Amazon for 3.72 and just downloaded my pictures! Thanks again!

Great!  Enjoy your photos.  What do I win?  Smiley Very Happy

A pat on the back:)

They thought my port might be going bad.”

Of course if you have a faulty computer it is not going to work. But, possibly you just need a updated driver and/or just to reinstall your CF reader port.

Because if you did change the setting in menu > the last icon > communication > change from PC to print/ptp.

You will be able to communicate with XP. 

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Oh my computer was fine. It was the port on my camera he thought was going bad - which I understand because this camera is the original Rebel. Also, my camera was already set to PTP. It still wouldn't recognize my camera. I think I mentioned that in my original post. Thanks for responding though! The card reader actually read faster than my USB cord every did!!
Announcements