cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS Rebel XT will not connect to Mac after system update

sarapeters07
Apprentice

I recently updated my Macbook, so my software is now MacOS Sierra Version 10.12.3. Before this I had no problems connecting my camera to iPhoto. However, with the updated iPhoto is gone and now I just have "Photos". My camera does not show up at all in "Photos".

I go to image capture and it does show up on the left side of the screen but the pictures do not appear and there is no option to click on anything.

I have gone to  "Applications" -> "Utilties" -> "System Information" and the camera does appear there under "USB" so the computer is reconizing it to some point but won't do anything.

When I open the Canon software that I just updated (Camera Window DC 8), it says no camera found. 

HELP PLEASE!! I have tried a different USB cord. I have tried a different CF card. I have contacted Apple and they had me try a few things but nothing helped. 

Thanks so much for reading and I hope someone has a solution! Thanks!! 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

Is the XT in PC communications mode or PTP mode? You want PTP mode.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

StanNH
Rising Star

Will it read the SD card directly?

This may help:  https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203155

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

Is the XT in PC communications mode or PTP mode? You want PTP mode.

kvbarkely Thank you SOOOOO MUCH!!!! That completely worked!!! It was in PC mode! Thank you thank you!

Thanks!  This worked right away!  

Thank you so much! I knew I didn't have a PC connection, but didn't realize that the PTP would work. You're a lifesaver...

Ellens1
Apprentice

I found a solution that worked (after spending 20 or so hours...late into the night for 2 days)...

It's a quick fix. 

With the camera attached using my original USB cable and turned on...

On my macbook I went to:

Finder

Applications, System Profile, Hardware, USB

I made sure it did recognize the camera there on the list of devices.

It showed:

USB Trackpad

USB- Receiver Hub

USB - Canon Camera

There's a little reverse triangle /sorter thing on the right. I clicked it - which makes the Camera the first on the list.

Then....viola!! All of my images popped into Image Capture and I was one happy person!!!!!!!

Hope this helps someone...all of the other suggestions didn't work for me. 

I guess that my trackpad, etc. were getting in the way all of a sudden??

USB hubs are not recommended for use when connecting your camera to a computer.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Sometimes the hubs are built into the computer to allow for multiple USB connections.

Yes, the hub is allowing me to use a mouse. My trackpad is old and broken.

By making the USB-Camera the first thing on the USB list..the pictures opened up in Image Capture.

Thanks!

Announcements