cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS Rebel XT - Mostly Dead

mweikert
Apprentice

I have an older model Rebel XT that stopped working many years ago and I am wondering if it is fixable or should i trash it.  If i remove both batteries and put back in sometimes it will turn on and start-up at the date/time screen, sometimes you can enter sometimes it is frozen.  If i just press the shutter button it might take a picture or might not then just freeze up.  and not even turn off.  Only way to restart is to take batteries out, wait then replace and usually can start it over again, but it always freezes.  Is there some sort of hard reset or something that might correct this?  i have replaced both batteries with band new ones.  It has a Canon lense on it and a Kingston compact flash card in it.

4 REPLIES 4

John_
Authority

Have you tried it without the CF card in? The card may be bad, maybe. If you could find someone to fix it, fixing it would cost way more than it is worth.

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend
If it acts up without a lens or card ........
--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Much thanks for the quick reply. 

Without the card I cannot even get the camera to come to life, even if then to just freeze up.  Without the lens but with the card I can replicate the same behavior of it turning on but freezing up rather quickly and not turning off.  Without both same behavior as without the card.  i also tried a second card, no change.  

@mweikert wrote:

Much thanks for the quick reply. 

Without the card I cannot even get the camera to come to life, even if then to just freeze up.  Without the lens but with the card I can replicate the same behavior of it turning on but freezing up rather quickly and not turning off.  Without both same behavior as without the card.  i also tried a second card, no change.  

“He’s dead, Jim.”

I think the camera has probably bitten the dust.  Newer cameras can outperform that body by a WIDE margin.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
Announcements