cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS Rebel T6i Keeps Going Busy

DreamchasinIT
Apprentice

I purchased my Rebel T6i in early 2018.  My memory card is a SanDisk Ultra Plus 80 MB/s 32GB, and the Fireware is version 1.0.0. I'm still a novice when it comes to photography.

For the past few months, I've been experiencing some issues with my camera.  I mostly use it for shooting single shots in Manual and Auto mode.  After about 15-20 pictures in a session, the camera goes busy. When it first does, there's a slight lag and I cut the camera off and then back on and it goes back to normal.  When I continue shooting, the camera will go busy indefinitely within the next 5-10 shots.  I always end up having to cut the camera off and take the battery out because it would stay busy for a couple of hours. I have tried clearing and reformatting the memory card and resetting the camera back to factory settings a few times.  

9 REPLIES 9

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

Is this a full size card or a micro card with adapter? 

You can try to low-level reformat the card in the camera.

It is a full-size memory card.

Tim
Authority

DreamchasinIT, 

There are a few troubleshooting steps I'd like to help resolve this issue. We'll reset the camera, which should restore it to a default state. These steps should clear out the memory and thereby any errors which may be present.

- Anything attached or installed in the camera — memory cards, the lens, the battery, battery grips should all be removed.

- Once the lens is off let's check it using the steps below.

a) Clean the lens contacts* to restore connection with the body.

d) Try using a different memory card. All memory cards should be properly formatted in your camera prior to use.

*Warning - Do not clean lens contacts on either a Canon lens or the camera body with an eraser! It's easy to rub off the gold plating on these contacts and end up with data communication problems! Our strong recommendation is to use a soft, clean, micro fiber cloth. Please do not use anything abrasive.

b) Try using a different Canon EF series lens. It doesn't have to be the same focal length as the one you were using.

c) If you are using a third party lens, we recommend discontinuing its use. There can sometimes be communication error related issues with third-party lenses. Ensuring that you're using a Canon lens eliminates that as a potential factor in the error.

If the issues seem to persist the next step would be to send the equipment to Canon for service.

www.usa.canon.com/repair

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Hey Tim, 

In regards to the different memory card, is there a specific brand/model that works best for this type of camera?

"...is there a specific brand/model that works best for this type of camera?"

Any top brand that meets the specs outlined in your manual is fine.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"I have tried clearing and reformatting the memory card and resetting the camera back to factory settings a few times."

Great that is the first steps to try.  But now you need to get a brand new SD card.  Never, ever use a micro SD card. You can try cleaning the lens contacts but it won't help of fix it either. Just be very careful since you can create anew problem that you can't fix.

"...the Fireware (Firmware) is version 1.0.0."

WHy did you mention this? Not something a "novice" would normally say or do.  Did you try to update it yourself? 

If a new SD card, a factory reset and a different lens does not fix your T6i you need to call Canon 1 (800) 652-2666 and have them check it out.

EB

I came across a random forum post on another site that had mentioned their Firmware had caused the issue. I've never tried checking for an update prior, so I wasn't sure if that could be the reason.  But when I did check the Cannon site, I didn't see any new software updates.

"...the Fireware (Firmware) is version 1.0.0."

"Why did you mention this? Not something a "novice" would normally say or do.  Did you try to update it yourself?" 

When making my original post, I just wanted to make sure I was as detailed as possible.

OK good, FW is not your issue.  If the other things don't help do call Canon. Especially a brand new SD card.

EB

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend
What type of shots are taking? You could be seeing the effects of various noise reduction settings.
--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements