cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS Rebel T6i Customising a Picture Style.

allan4169
Contributor

I have a T6i and I wanted to adjust the sharpness and contrast in Landscape and Portrait. So in page 127 it explains how to do this. I set my camera to Landscape and pressed the DOWN ( Blue Arrow on pic) button and it says "This feature not available in this mode" or something like this. So I put the camera in M and then adjusted Landscape and Portrait to my settings for Sharpness and Contrast. My question is, Will these settings work when I take photos in the Landscape mode or do I have to go M, select Landscape, and then take photos. I know that I can be in Landscalpe and adjust for VIVID which works well. Page 125 says that

"In Basic Zone modes, (which is Landscape, Portrait, etc) (AUTO) is set automatically. So is that why I get that message? Icon 2.png

9 REPLIES 9

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

Yep. You can only customize the Picture style in "Creative Zone" (There are 2 more pages of this in the manual):

Settings.jpg

Thanks kvbarkley, that page tells me what I need to know. But does my adjustments in Creative Mode ( Landscape) affect Landscape in Basic Mode photos? I can take photos in Basic Mode Default, with VIVID, and then adjust Landscape in Creative mode (Landscape) and check the results.

No. Read the chart! That is why I posted it. In the basic mode, the Auto style is set and cannot be changed.

There's no need to be rude. As I said, I read the chart and I said that I now understand that it is set automatically in Basic Mode. So to see any changes in Sharpness and Contrast I will have to shoot in a Creative mode to see those adjustments. I am just wondering why they only allow you to change Sharpness etc in Creative modes and not in Basic.

In the Basic modes  the camera makes as many decisions as possible.

Okay, thanks kvbarkley. At least shooting in any of the Creative Modes I will get to learn more about getting the best from my photos.

@allan4169 wrote:

Okay, thanks kvbarkley. At least shooting in any of the Creative Modes I will get to learn more about getting the best from my photos.

Shoot your images in RAW, not JPEGs.  Use Canon's free DPP software to adjust the images however you want in post.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Thanks for the advice. I will shott RAW this weekend and experiment in post.

I shot some photos using RAW as well as JPG's  Creative Mode and Basic Mode. Then I used Affinity software on all photos. The Affinity software gave me great adjustments on the RAW as well as the JPG photos. Just last week I went for a motorcycle ride down to Malibu and PCH and shot in Creative on Shutter Priority at 1/1000 sec as well as Basic on Landscape Auto sttings. By far the best photos were on Creative Shutter Priority at 1/1000 sec.  So I will be leaving it on Shutter Priority for most of my photos. Creative Modes does have the Portrait and Landscape setting tweaked for max  sharpness and up on the contrast. 

Announcements