cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS Rebel T6 won't connect to laptop

rmitchell3617
Apprentice

I have a Canon EOS rebel T6 that will not connect to my laptop.  It used to connect but now it will not.  I've ensued that the camera's wifi is off.  I've removed and redownloaded the ES Utility software from Canon.  I've tried different USB ports on my computer and I've tried different cables.  I'm running Win 10 on my Dell laptop.  As Isaid this feature used to work but the last time I went to connect it would not.

Thanks in Advance

Richard

4 REPLIES 4

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

If the EOS Utility will not start automatically when you turn on the camera, try starting it manually.  Sometimes following a Windows Update your PC will need to download device drivers for the camera again.  Windows 10 likes to purge things that do not come from the Microsoft Windows Store, or an authenticated source.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Thanks for the info.  I removed the version of EOS Utilities I had previously downoaded and I am in the process of downloding it again from the Canon webiste.  I don't see a specific spot for just camera drivers.

well I just removed all of the Canon software off of my laptop.  Rebooted the laptop.  Then got onto the Canon website and downloaded the software fresh, then installed it.  After installing the software i rebooted the laptop.  then after the last startup i see an icon on the lower right corner for the utlities.  It is set for "Start EOS utility automatically when camera is connected".  However the EOS Utility Launcher popped up with out my camera connected.  I then plugged in the camera and turned it on.   Still Nothing.

@rmitchell3617 wrote:

well I just removed all of the Canon software off of my laptop.  Rebooted the laptop.  Then got onto the Canon website and downloaded the software fresh, then installed it.  After installing the software i rebooted the laptop.  then after the last startup i see an icon on the lower right corner for the utlities.  It is set for "Start EOS utility automatically when camera is connected".  However the EOS Utility Launcher popped up with out my camera connected.  I then plugged in the camera and turned it on.   Still Nothing.

Shut down the EOS Utility Launcher program.  Turn off the camera and disconnect it.  Clear out the setting you mentioned to “Start EOS utility automically .....”. That is not the default setting.

Let’s take it from the top.  The Launcher is supposed to “launch” either the EOS 2 or EOS 3 Utility.  I am not sure which for a T6, but the T5 launches EOS 2.  I will assume that EOS 2 utility should launch.

From the top:

1. Connect the camera to the laptop via USB.  Do not use a USB port expander.
  2. Power up the camera, and wait a few seconds for the Operating System to recognize it, and possibly install drivers.
  3. At this point, the EOS 2 Utility should launch itself, but if nothing happens that is a good thing.
  4. If the EOS Launcher runs, then you need to exit out of it.
  5. Go into the Start Menu and launch the EOS 2 Utility manually.  This only needs to be done once.

Hopefully, you should see the dialog window for the EOS Utililty.  Make sure you go into settings define a Destination Folder.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
Announcements