cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS Rebel T6 vs PowerShot SX50 HS

Canonite
Contributor

Hi, All, I think I goofed. I had a Canon Powershot but it had only a 50X optical zoom, and I needed something with greater magnification (but still simple to use) for bird photography.

So over Black Friday (November 2018), I took advantage of all the sales on the EOS Rebel with the 135 mm zoom telephoto lens. Now, it seems the old Powershot gives me more telephoto power than the new Rebel!  To make matters worse, the Rebel T6 zoom lens does not have image stabilization which the old Powershot does have (and which I need).

Is a 50x optical zoom more powerful than a 135mm telephoto lens? 

Is there any advantage to having the Rebel T6 in addition to the Powershot SX50? Should I just try to get my money back for the EOS? Thank you for any information you can provide!

31 REPLIES 31

wow! and 60 or 90K in the 80's in today's dollars probably does translate to 120-180K

"...  it is the third one they have seen"

It may be but this is the only one they have owned.  I have 'seen' a few of them myself.  It's just that "owned" part that is difficult.

"...still be on display in thier store at this time."

And, likely to stay there.  I suppose it is too much of a draw to actively try to sell it.  Perhaps that is why it is nearly 200 grand.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

Which "135 telephoto" do you have?

If it is the 18-135 any recent one from Canon does have IS, and are very good lenses.

You need to compare "50 mm equivalent" focal lengths.

The SX 50 is 24mm to 1200mm.

A 135mm lens has a 216mm equivalent.

Obviously 1200 is much greater than 216.

The longest practical lens for an APS-C camera is the 150-600 mm telephoto from Sigma and Tamron. They have a 35 mm equiv. of 240 to 960 mm.

In every other way, the T6 is a better camera than the SX50HS.

What happens after 600mm?

I just looked more closely at that Opteka, it is junk lol

"I just looked more closely at that Opteka, it is junk lol"

You are correct, sir!

EB

@John_ wrote:

What happens after 600mm?

Nothing, but longer lenses are either way too expensive or way too cheap. And it is very difficult to handhold  longer lens. The 150-600's seem to have hit a sweet spot.

Canonite
Contributor
Thanks, Wolfie and KV, I begin to see the light!

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"Is there any advantage to having the Rebel T6 in addition to the Powershot SX50?"

Absolutely.  It is, the T6, by far and away the better camera.  Let's examine that lens thingy!  Here is the deal, the SX50 has a tiny sensor. That means you can make a tiny lens and it will look huge. The T6 has a larger sensor so it takes a bigger lens to accomplish the same image.  That's great for the SX50 you say?  But, wait, there is more.  The IQ falls off drastically if you try to enlarge or do major cropping to your images. Or make prints in the 8x10 or larger format. If all you intend to do is post on FB or some other social forum the SX50 is pretty good. Keep it no reason to switch.  Same reasoning for using, and you might as well, a smartphone. The SX50i s not the best camera for low light or fast action though as its lens is slow and continuous shooting is also slow.  The T6 will beat it hands down.

Take a look at the Tamron SP 150-600mm f/5-6.3 Di VC USD G2 for Canon for your T6.

EB

The exact reason there are so many camera/lens combos on the market is because there are so many different uses.  Lot's of folks have a different need or requirement for their camera/lens.  Not a one size fits all.  You need to use whatever works and does the job for your requirements.

EB
Announcements