cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS Rebel T6 vs PowerShot SX50 HS

Canonite
Contributor

Hi, All, I think I goofed. I had a Canon Powershot but it had only a 50X optical zoom, and I needed something with greater magnification (but still simple to use) for bird photography.

So over Black Friday (November 2018), I took advantage of all the sales on the EOS Rebel with the 135 mm zoom telephoto lens. Now, it seems the old Powershot gives me more telephoto power than the new Rebel!  To make matters worse, the Rebel T6 zoom lens does not have image stabilization which the old Powershot does have (and which I need).

Is a 50x optical zoom more powerful than a 135mm telephoto lens? 

Is there any advantage to having the Rebel T6 in addition to the Powershot SX50? Should I just try to get my money back for the EOS? Thank you for any information you can provide!

31 REPLIES 31

April of 2015.  Smiley Indifferent

It's probably sold by now.  Maybe not, call them and see if they still have it!  Smiley Happy

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Or I can buy 400 SX50HS's!

I'm putting my house for sale and BH is holding the lens for me! If you pass a homeless guy with a huge lens on the street that would be me!

Do you think there is an adapter to mount it on a XS50? Smiley Very Happy

EB

Yes eBay has an SX50 to Canon EF 1200./$180,000 lens adapter!! $2.99 w/free shipping! 🙂

"Yes eBay has an SX50 to Canon EF 1200./$180,000 lens adapter!! $2.99 w/free shipping!"

Well, that does it, you just pushed me over the edge. I'm gonna order it right after I figure out how to pay for the alimony and divorce attorney.

EB

LOL !!  Just think of the great pictures you can take from the poor house!!

LOL! Maybe I'll go back to oil painting. But they have brushes like that, too! haha

ebiggs1

"The lens that B&H has it likely the only one they have ever had in the existence of the store."

Acording to the article, it is the third one they have seen. and seems to still be on display in thier store at this time.

Crazy stuff and it said you had to put a $10,000 deposit down to maybe get one. I wonder if the deposit was refundable. It is $180K now I wonder what it was at the time it was being made...I'm guessing $25Kish

"I'm guessing $25Kish"

If my feeble memory serves me correctly, Canon didn't sell the first batch at all. They loaned them to the press at the '84 Olympics. It was only half a dozen or so. They had to be given back to Canon.  They were converted to EF mount. Several more were made probably around 24 in total. The ef 800mm f5.6L is around $13,000 and I think the 1200mil was $90,000.

I started shooting Canon exclusively in the early '80's or I probably would never have heard of the big 1200mil.

EB
Announcements