cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS Rebel T6 card cannot be formatted

Andilla
Apprentice

Hello! I've had my camera since December and have not had any issues with it, until now. I was using a 16gb SanDisk memory card and it was working great up until a few weeks ago. It started having an error message displaying "card cannot be accessed. Reinsert/change the card or format the card with camera" so I reinserted it and it still didn't work.

I then decided to get all of my pictures off of it and format the card. When I did that, it only worked for about a day then it had the same error message again. I kept repeating that routine about every day until I got another error message saying "cannot format, change card". So that's what I did.

My new card just came in the mail today. It's a 64gb SanDisk Extreme. I formatted it with the camera and started using it again for a little bit, but suddenly I got the same error message. I tried formatting again and it says that it can't be formatted and to change the card, my brand new card.

Any advice or help anybody could give would be greatly appreciated. 

8 REPLIES 8

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

Check the “Write Protect” tab on the card.

Are you using a regular, full size SD card, or a microSD card with an adapter?

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Andilla
Apprentice
I checked it and it's solid all the way up. I have a regular, full size SD card

@Andilla wrote:
I checked it and it's solid all the way up. I have a regular, full size SD card

Seeing that you have had the camera since the past December, your warranty should be in effect.  Have your sales receipt information handy, and contact Canon Support.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Two things, is it a top brand SD card from a good known retailer, that is not Amazon?  Yes, good.  Second, try formatting the SD card on your Windows computer.  Never mind if you have a Mac, find a Windows machine.  If the camera still doesn't see it call Canon 1 (800) 652-2666

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

Remove the memory card inspect the card slight (you may need a light).  Do you see any debris?

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

jakeandikory
Apprentice

Andilla (my daughter) gave up, bought a new camera and gave the camera to me. I would like to get it fixed but all the suggestions herewith have been tried. We can't find the receipt and since it was a gift she didn't have it either. I just want to pay to get it fixed, heck with the warranty. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. The card reader obviously malfunctioned and now won't work at all. It needs to be replaced.

Call Canon 1 (800) 652-2666

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

THANK YOU
Announcements