Canon Community Canon Community

Frequent Contributor

EOS Rebel T6 camera started adding a blemish to every picture

It looks to me like my relatively new Canon EOS Rebel T6 camera has started to add what I'd call a blemish to all of the pictures taken with it.  An example, where I've pointed out the blemish, is shown below -

IMG_0370.RebelT6.Arrow.jpg

At first I suspected the cause to be related to the lens (i.e., dust, smug, nick, etc.).  However, it turns out that I have 2 of the same camera bodies.  When I mount the lens used to take the above picture on the other body that blemish disappears as shown in a simlar photo below -

IMG_0116.EOS1300D.jpg

Please notice that this scene does include a lot of birds flying around in the distance which will appear as random spots.  The spot I marked isn't a bird and it appears in the same spot on all of the pictures taken with that camera body.

My questions are what causes this?  What can be done to correct the problem?

Honored Contributor

Re: EOS Rebel T6 camera started adding a blemish to every picture

Dirt on the sensor, probably. Sometimes you can knock it off with one of those squeeze-bulb blowers that are sold for the purpose. Otherwise, you're probably best off having it professionally cleaned, preferably by a Canon repair shop. Some people (who are not professional repair technicians) have been known to wet-clean a sensor successfully. Probably a larger number end up with the sensor in worse shape then before they started.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA
VIP

I think it is 99.99% likely that you dust on your image sensor.  If you do not have a “Rocket Blower”, or something similar, then you should buy one.  I purchased a Zeiss cleaning kit from B&H, which included a bulb type blower.

sensei_bl_011_bulb_air_blower_cleaning_system_1363210249000_838818.jpg

There is no reason to panic.  One pub from the bulb and the dust spot is gone.  Software can remove the dust spots from images, too.  Your camera is capable of doing it, too.

Whatever you do, do not open your mouth and BLOW inside of the camera body.  That is worse thing you could besides trying to clean with image sensor with a Q-Tip.  I suggest that you never touch the image sensor with anything besides a puff of air from a bulb blower.  Leave that to the professionals.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"I don't rent software. I use Photoshop CS6, ACR 9.8 and Lightroom 6.8 ."
Frequent Contributor

@Waddizzle wrote:

I think it is 99.99% likely that you dust on your image sensor.

Whatever you do, do not open your mouth and BLOW inside of the camera body.  That is worse thing you could besides trying to clean with image sensor with a Q-Tip.  I suggest that you never touch the image sensor with anything besides a puff of air from a bulb blower.  Leave that to the professionals.

Many thanks, I have some of those blowers that include a brush on the end of them.  It looks like I need a "Rocket Blower".  I did exercise caution and haven't touched the sensor with anything.

Curiously, I originally purchaed a bundle which included 2 lens and 1 body.  I quickly decided to buy the second body partly because constantly changing lens, especially when out in the field so to speak, seemed to increase the risk of soiling things in that sensitive part of the camera.  In this case I do know that quite a few pictures have been shot in a good many sessions before this blemish turned up.  In that, it was not directly related to having removed the lens.  With that said it does occur to me that something can get in there and not find its' way onto the sensor right away.

Again, thanks for the advice!

VIP

[ Edited ]

@aajax wrote:

@Waddizzle wrote:

I think it is 99.99% likely that you dust on your image sensor.

Many thanks.

Curiously, I originally purchaed a bundle which included 2 lens and 1 body.  I quickly decided to buy the second body partly because constantly changing lens, especially when out in the field so to speak, seemed to increase the risk of soiling things in that sensitive part of the camera. 

Again, thanks for the advice!

Your suspicions are an astute observation.  Professionals carry multiple cameras for two reasons.  

One reason is so that they can quickly change lenses.  Having a body at the ready with a diffferent lens is very convenient when you are photographing an event.  Events do not wait for you to change lenses.

Another reason is the potential to introduce dirt and dust into the camera bodies, as well as lenses.  This risk is much higher than people may realize.  Tree and grass pollen when you are outdoors are a common risk.  Dust from fallen leaves are another potential source for airborne contaminants.  

I learned the lesson of the risk of airborne contaminants one day when I changed lenses inside of my nicely air-conditioned SUV.  It was a humid summer day, and I wanted to change lenses.  I had made a couple stops that day, in search of water fowl without any great luck. I changed to my 24-105mm sitting in the comfort of the vehicle.  

As time passed, I switched to 50mm, for the wider aperture.  I later discovered all of the photos had dust spots on them, beginning with the moment of the first lens change to the 24-105mm.  It would seem that the air blowing from the car vents was full of dust, pollen, or whatever it was.  Now, I turn off the AC when I change lenses in the SUV, and my gear stays clean.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"I don't rent software. I use Photoshop CS6, ACR 9.8 and Lightroom 6.8 ."
VIP

"I quickly decided to buy the second body partly because constantly changing lens, especially when out in the field so to speak, seemed to increase the risk of soiling things ..."

Yeah you can get dirt inside but sometimes you just have no choice.   I mean you can leave your camera in the box it came in and it would never get dirty. But that's no fun.  Use it and if it gets dirty have it cleaned.  No biggie.  The best advice is just don't do stupid things.

BTW, those specks or spots are no problem to fix in post editing.  Get yourself a good editor like Photoshop Elements and go out and use your camera(s).

EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and several lenses!
Frequent Contributor

WAHLA, it looks like it worked.  I was able to remove the brush from one of my blowers and this allowed it to work pretty much like I think the above referenced blower would work.  Will be interested to see how long it lasts but having a remedy makes that somewhat unimportant.

Very grateful for advice.

By the way, I've been working with GIMP rather than Photoshop but I should have no problem removing the blemish from photos shot to date.  However, having the camera working correctly is a better resolution.