cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS Rebel T6 Wrong Video Resolution

RebelCam
Apprentice

Hi,  this is my first post here. I have a problem with my Rebel T6, and I'm confused. I mostly bought it to take still shots, but I wanted to shoot some video recently for a class I'm in. 

The "movie recording size" is listed as 1920x1080, 30FPS. But when I shoot the video and put it into either Premeire or iMovie (the only two editing apps I have), there are black bars and the resolution looks a little blurry. When I check the project, it says 720p. But when I check the actual raw video files, they say dimensions of 1920x1080. 

Is that technically still 720p? I thought that should be 1080p? I apologize if these are dumb questions, I'm very new to this and just looking for some help on how to shoot in 1080p. 

Thanks! 

5 REPLIES 5

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

How are you transferring the video files to your computer?  Use the EOS Utility.  I suspect that your Mac is compressing the files during the transfer process.  You could also use a memory card reader to transfer files.  Canon also has a Movie Utility for editing and converting the video files.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

It sounds like you are trying to fit the movie into a non-HD format. What version of iMovie? What happens if you play them in quicktime?

The new iMovie uses the first clip in the movie to determine the format and resolution of the rest of the movie. Try starting a new project and putting these clips first.

Hi, I transfer the files via the memory card in the camera. I put it in the SD card slot in my Mac, (a 2015, right before they went all Thunderbolt 3) and then my Mac asks me to open the "Photos" app once it acknowledges the card. I usually close that as I'm not using it for this. Then I drag the files either to my desktop or to an external hard drive. I will look into the EOS utility, thanks. 

@RebelCam wrote:

Hi, I transfer the files via the memory card in the camera. I put it in the SD card slot in my Mac, (a 2015, right before they went all Thunderbolt 3) and then my Mac asks me to open the "Photos" app once it acknowledges the card. I usually close that as I'm not using it for this. Then I drag the files either to my desktop or to an external hard drive. I will look into the EOS utility, thanks. 

Putting the SD card in a slot on the Mac is fine.  Many would argue that it is better than electronic transfer via USB cable.  The EOS Utility is the best application to use to transfer from the camera to a hard drive via a USB cable.  Either approach is fine.

Your problem appears to be with the application you are using for viewing the video files.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Are your T6 videos being shot as .MOV files? Do you know for a fact that either Premier or iMovie can recognize and play .MOV files?

I wonder if your software is, by default, converting these .MOV (or some other format) files into a different file format that it can play and edit. And perhaps for some reason it is also changing the video's resolution as well.

Have you looked at the file type and properties of your videos both before and after they've been opened and saved in your software?

Announcements