cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS Rebel T5i upgrade?

ibskiing
Contributor

Hello,

I have had my Rebel now for almost 6 years, it is starting to act up, and has some auto focus issues.  I have had it worked on a few times.  So now I am wondering if it is time to upgrade.

My passion is nature pics, animals and birds (took some great Bald Eagle pics yesterday).  I also occasionally photograph planets through my telescope.

Primary Lense: Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 L IS USM Zoom Lens (purchased about 3/4 years ago).

So I think my lense is probably way better than my body.

What would everyone recommend for an upgrade?  I know you will ask my budget, but I am not sure yet, I know you can spend thousands.  So for starters lets keep it to $1,000 to $3,000.  And let me know what I will gain

Thanks in advance for any advise you have.  James

14 REPLIES 14

Or the 18-135 STM lens.  They are excellent units too: I have a couple and have found that they make a great walk-around lens.

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

@Tronhard wrote:

Or the 18-135 STM lens.  They are excellent units too: I have a couple and have found that they make a great walk-around lens.

And, I just noticed that the Refurb store is putting the USM version in the 80D kits now.  Even better!

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

I ordered a Refurb EOS 80D from Canon, should get here on Wednesday. 

Thanks for all the advice, I will let you know how it works for me. 

Excellent choice, good decision. Enjoy, download the manual and start getting ready now!

"I ordered a Refurb EOS 80D from Canon,..."

Great, you will love it. I hope you did not buy a lens with it!.  Because there are two outstanding lenses recommended for it but neither comes with the 80D as a kit. Wanting to stay Canon look at the Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Lens. And for IQ that is out of this world look and a super fast f1.8 aperture check out the Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8 DC HSM Art Lens for Canon.

Both are in the $800 range and worth it.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements