cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS Rebel T5i upgrade?

ibskiing
Contributor

Hello,

I have had my Rebel now for almost 6 years, it is starting to act up, and has some auto focus issues.  I have had it worked on a few times.  So now I am wondering if it is time to upgrade.

My passion is nature pics, animals and birds (took some great Bald Eagle pics yesterday).  I also occasionally photograph planets through my telescope.

Primary Lense: Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 L IS USM Zoom Lens (purchased about 3/4 years ago).

So I think my lense is probably way better than my body.

What would everyone recommend for an upgrade?  I know you will ask my budget, but I am not sure yet, I know you can spend thousands.  So for starters lets keep it to $1,000 to $3,000.  And let me know what I will gain

Thanks in advance for any advise you have.  James

14 REPLIES 14

Or the 18-135 STM lens.  They are excellent units too: I have a couple and have found that they make a great walk-around lens.

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

@Tronhard wrote:

Or the 18-135 STM lens.  They are excellent units too: I have a couple and have found that they make a great walk-around lens.

And, I just noticed that the Refurb store is putting the USM version in the 80D kits now.  Even better!

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

I ordered a Refurb EOS 80D from Canon, should get here on Wednesday. 

Thanks for all the advice, I will let you know how it works for me. 

Excellent choice, good decision. Enjoy, download the manual and start getting ready now!

"I ordered a Refurb EOS 80D from Canon,..."

Great, you will love it. I hope you did not buy a lens with it!.  Because there are two outstanding lenses recommended for it but neither comes with the 80D as a kit. Wanting to stay Canon look at the Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Lens. And for IQ that is out of this world look and a super fast f1.8 aperture check out the Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8 DC HSM Art Lens for Canon.

Both are in the $800 range and worth it.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements