cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS Rebel T5i Format Not Supported with iMovie

BEpple238109
Contributor

Hello,

I am new to the community and still a newbie with cameras and need some assistance. 

I have an EOS Rebel T5i.

I wanted to make a short video. It has been a few months since I recorded a video with my t5i. Today, after recording and going into edit my footage on iMovie, it says that the format is not supported. I noticed my video saved as a MOV instead of the usual MP4. 

I tried converting it to an MP4 and it was still not supported. (mp4, m4v, mpeg-4 are not supported)

I have tried putting the sd card into another camera where I can connect to the canon camera connect app, and the app is saying the same thing.

I'm not sure what happened to cause this change and would appreciate some help in fixing this for the future!

Update: 

I can not reply to comments, without my comment being marked as spam. :L  [We think we've fixed that!]

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

BEpple238109
Contributor

I found the solution via "apple support communities". 

Link: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7432568

"OK, progress comes from poking about randomly, apparently.

It appears that if you create an empty project, the files in question suddenly appear to be usable, and iMovie happily lets you import media.

That question answered it seems."

It worked for me and I am just... at a loss for words.

View solution in original post

21 REPLIES 21

Try taking a copy of one of your .MOV files and change the file extension to .mp4 or maybe .mpg.

Stranger things have occasionally worked for me before.

BEpple238109
Contributor
I think I have an issue with both my computer and my camera.
I recorded video on my g7x and it was saved as a mp4 on the sd card. I went to edit that and imovie said that the format was not supported.
Just based off of fortunate timing, my new macbook came in the mail and I tried both the t5i MOV and the g7x MP4.
The new computer can edit my g7x MP4 but it still can not read the t5i MOV.
I wish I could edit my old t5i footage, I would like to fix the issue so I could still use it for video in the future.

BEpple238109
Contributor
Converting formats did not work. It still says the format is not supported. I changed the file extension, went though quicktime and used an online converter. Nothing worked to make the original t5i MOV files usable to edit.

Were your recording to a full-size SD card, or a Micro SD card with an adapter?

Have you tried resetting your camera back to factory defaults?  

Have you checked your camera menus to see what recording format is set to use?  Use must be in movie mode to check this.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

BEpple238109
Contributor
I use a SanDisk 128GB Extreme PRO.

@BEpple238109 wrote:
I use a SanDisk 128GB Extreme PRO.

"Were your recording to a full-size SD card, or a Micro SD card with an adapter?"

BEpple238109
Contributor
My camera was originally on 1920x1080 24fps 29:59.
I did reset everything prior to posting in the community and it did not fix the issue.

@BEpple238109 wrote:
My camera was originally on 1920x1080 24fps 29:59.
I did reset everything prior to posting in the community and it did not fix the issue.

Is your camera set for saving video as MP4 or MOV file format?  

Have you formatted your SD cards prior to first use.  This is highly recommended for all new cards.  I think it is a best practice to reformat a memory card prior to video shooting session, not unless you doing short videos of the kids running in the backyard.

BEpple238109
Contributor
I always format my sd card upon first use. I don’t usually switch out my SD cards often. I had photos and videos on it, yet there was still a lot of room left. I take photos and videos off the cards when I need to edit what is on there and I format the card once I am sure everything is on my computer and I am done. I also tried using my other sd card from my other camera before post here as well. The camera would still save in an unusable MOV format. Nothing in regard to the sd card fixed the issue.
Announcements