cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS Rebel T5 Discontinue Date

antbutty
Apprentice

I've been teaching a photography class here in Atlanta and use the Rebel T5 as the standard intro camera for students who sign up. With the T6i and T6s coming out soon, does anybody know when the T5 will stop being made?

3 REPLIES 3

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

It is unlikely that they will discontinue the T5 in the near future -- although we're a community of Canon users and we don't have any insider-scoops on this sort of thing.

The T5 is a different class  than the T5i.  Canon tends to release a new top-end Rebel body approximately once per year.  But the entry Rebel bodies tend to only get released once every few years.   Notice, for example, that they still have not withdrawn  the T3 from the market.  They still actively produce and sell that camera (what you see in stores isn't old inventory that simply hasn't sold yet... it's still produced.)

Canon tends to reduce the price and keep the previous generation cameras on the market to offer a product at multiple different price points with various capabilities -- and this tends to make DSLRs accessible to people with a variety of budgets.

When Canon releases a newer entry level body (there are currently not even any rumors of an upcomming product) it's likely that such a product would take the place of the T5, but then the T5 would take the place of the T3... and the T3 would likely be the product that would be discontinued. 

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

Thanks. I wasn't aware of that!

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

It probably has more to do with sales and inventory.  Cameras are not prroduced continuously.  They are made in bacthes.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements