cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS Rebel T3i

rw2psr
Apprentice

I own a Rebel XS, is purchasing a X3i worth the money or is it better to save up for a T5i? Mainly use my camera for outdoor sports and field photography, thanks in advance.

4 REPLIES 4

pjmacd
Enthusiast
In general terms, I think it's always advisable to buy the latest technology you can afford. Advances in camera performance have been amazing in the last few years. Perhaps the best way to answer this question is to rent a T3i and then a T5i to see which one best meets your needs.

I don't have an XS or a T5i, but I do have a T3i that I had converted to an infrared sensor. I'm happy I did that. I did upgrade from a 60D to a 70D and I'm happy I did that too.

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

The Canon 18MP sensor found on the T2i, T3i, T4i, T5i, 60D, and 7D are all going to yield "roughly" the same ISO performance.   What you get with each better body is more body features... but the sensor is approximately the same (the camera firmware is not the same -- so there are some difference, but nothing that will be obvious.)

The 70D has a new sensor -- amazing for video use -- but even for still use it's yielding approximately 1 stop better in ISO performance (when comparing noise).  

Since you mentioned "sports" -- usually the attributes of a sports body are a high frame rate and a good focus system.

The 60D has a 9 point AF system where all 9 points are "cross type"... that system then showed up on the T4i and T5i.  The 7D had a 19 point AF system with all "cross type" points and an 8 frames per second shooting speed (in continuous burst mode).  The 70D, however... has nearly the identical focus system as the 7D (19 point all cross-type... but does not support spot or expanded area AF) and shoots at 7 fps in burst mode.  So it's pretty good.

The T5i's biggest feature is probably the capacitive touch LCD screen.  Apart from that, I think the 60D is a better body -- and while touch-screen might be a personal choice -- I think the control layout on the 60D (being a mid-level body and starting to introduce control layout features like the pro-bodies) is a very strong camera.

I'd probably lean toward the 70D if that's within the budget (because you mentioned sports) and if not... I'd probably take a close look at the 60D.

A low focal ratio lens can help push up the shutter speed when shooting sports (lower focal ratios means the lens collects more light when the shutter is open).  Those lenses will cost a bit more.  An f/4 zoom is moderately more expensive.  An f/2.8 zoom is significantly more expensive.  

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

amfoto1
Authority

Because you mention sports, between the two the T5i would be the better choice.

Both have a 9-point AF system. But the T3i has only one dual axis point, at the center. All 9 of the points in the T5i are dual axis type. The T5i's AF system is essentially inherited from the 60D, 50D and 40D, which are all pretty good sports cameras. The T3i's AF system is more similar to the 20D/30D's, which are capable of shooting sports, but the later cameras are better.

As Tim mentioned, the 70D and the 7D are even more sports/action-oriented cameras. They are also a bit more designed for relatively experienced users.

If you will be wanting to shoot video, the T5i also has some over the T3i improvements to support that. The 70D is the latest and greatest model for video, though.

Alan Myers

San Jose, Calif., USA
"Walk softly and carry a big lens."
GEAR: 5DII, 7D(x2), 50D(x3), some other cameras, various lenses & accessories
FLICKR & PRINTROOM 

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"In general terms, I think it's always advisable to buy the latest technology you can afford."

And of course, this is the correct answer as long as it fits the budget.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements