cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS Rebel T3i battery pack

parkerhouse
Contributor

I have purchased 2 new battery packs (different brands) in the past week and they are not holding a charge. I have charged them for a minimum of 24 hours. My camera is only 2 years old. Is this a known problem? Is there a fix?

7 REPLIES 7

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Yes there is!  They are not Canon batteries and are probably junk.  Buy only real Canon brand batteries.  Use of off band batteries can void your warranty if any is left.  There are conterfiet batteries that look very sinilar to the real thing.  You also need to get your batteries from a good retailer.  

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Thanks for the reply ebiggs1.

I agree that Canon batteries are better and last longer. I just can't buy them locally.

B&H Photo, Adorama, Best Buy, Amazon and more, all have them and offer free shipping most of the time.  Order and you will have it in your hands in 3 to 4 days.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

I don't buy non-Canon batteries anymore.  When I had my T1i, I had 5 batteries... 2 Canon batteries and 3 off-brand batteries. The Canon batteries vastly out-lasted all the off-brand batteries... many times over.

I no longer buy off-brand batteries.  It's too easy to make an unverifiable claim about capacity or quality -- whereas Canon has a reputation to protect.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

Thanks, TCampbell.

I agree that off-brand batteries do not last as long as Canon. Unfortunately, I don't have a camera store nearby and I was needing to use my camera. I tried a battery from Best Buy and that's when I had issues. I took that one back thinking it was a bad battery and got one from Staples. When I couldn't get the charge to hold on that one (after charging for 24 hours) I started looking for another possible solution.

amfoto1
Authority

If you have only charged up and used those batteries once, they may not have come up to full charge yet.

Often after long storage a battery needs to go through several charge/discharge cycles before they'll take a full charge and act normally.

If you've already done that, then I'd be concerned.

But if they haven't been discharged/recharged a half dozen or more times, give it a few more chances.

With some of my earlier Canon cameras that used the BP511-series batteries, I used a number of off-brand alongside a number of Canon brand, and never really noticed any difference.

My newer cameras use a lithium LP-E6, which are more complex with a built in "chip" that helps monitor battery condition. With these, I've only ever used Canon brand batteries. When they first came out about 5 years ago, there were some issues with off-brand batteries. So I avoided them. I now hear that some of the better off-brand being sold by the reputible stores are fine... but I'd be wary of too cheap a battery from an unknown seller.

Alan Myers

San Jose, Calif., USA
"Walk softly and carry a big lens."
GEAR: 5DII, 7D(x2), 50D(x3), some other cameras, various lenses & accessories
FLICKR & PRINTROOM 

Thanks, Amfoto1, for the suggestion.

I have been charging and switiching my older Canon battery and the new "Staples" battery back and forth. I probably have only done this 3 or 4 times. I do have an old off brand that I bought as a back up and it died a long time ago. I would love to buy a Canon battery, but have not been able to find one where I live. I am trying to determine the cause of the problem before I order a battery. But that may be my next step. 

Announcements