cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS Rebel T3; Top mirror piece problems!

kaylamay9009
Apprentice

I have an EOS Rebel T3. I am looking for advice or some help on what I need to do to fix my problem. A couple months ago when my family and I were on vacation, I took out my camera to take some photos. When I attached my lens and looked through the viewfinder, it looked like there was some fuzz and dust on the front of the lens. I cleaned it off, then looked through again and the fuzz was still there. I took the lens off and wiped it off and also wiped the inside of the lens mount area and wiped both mirror pieces off. Still, when looking through, it looked like there was fuzz/dust. I realized after closer inspection that it was the top mirror piece (as shown by arrow in photo) that had that fuzz.dust particles. I was never able to get it clean no matter how much i wiped it off. I used tissues, q-tips, my shirt and my fingertip to wipe it off and nothing has helped. It almost seems as if it is permanent dust particles up there. Now, I believe that with the excessive wiping, some slight scratches have appeared. You can see the marks that I am talking about in the other photo pictured. I took a photo with my cellphone through the viewfinder. I have no idea how to fix this issue and I am going on vacation to the mountains in August so of course I am wanting to get this fixed before then so I can take photos. If you have any ideas on how I can fix this, please let me know!

Thanks in advance!13512007_1133423533346626_1616233915534768142_n.jpg13508857_1133432466679066_678757355324032621_n.jpg

11 REPLIES 11

@jrhoffman75 wrote:

"Genuine Canon focusing screens that I have seen for sale come with a special tool to hold and install the focusing screen."

That's true for cameras that have optional screens that can be changed out by user. Not sure if Rebel ones do.

Personally, I wouldn't attempt to change a focusing screen without a lighted magnifier. 

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

@Waddizzle wrote:

@jrhoffman75 wrote:

"Genuine Canon focusing screens that I have seen for sale come with a special tool to hold and install the focusing screen."

That's true for cameras that have optional screens that can be changed out by user. Not sure if Rebel ones do.

Personally, I wouldn't attempt to change a focusing screen without a lighted magnifier. 

And a proper tool set.

The OP is really better off having this done professionally. 

The possibility of dropping a screw then scratching the mirror trying to retrieve it is too high. 

There is a big difference between changing focus screens on a camera that is designed for you to change them and one that's isn't.

I've changed the focus screen on the 1N. 50D, and 7D Mk II. On cameras not designed for that like the classic 7D, it wasn't worth the risk for me.

The T3 is not designed to have a user replaceable focus screen. 

Announcements