cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS Rebel T3 Buttons not functioning

adamoutlaw
Apprentice

When i turn on the camera, the date and time screen appear. I can only move past this screen by lightly pressing the shutter button. None of the other buttons work and I can't navigate through any of the menus in order to do a reset. Can someone tell me how to do a hard reset without going into the software menu? I can still move through the different photo types and take pictures but I can't navigate any of the on screen functions.

4 REPLIES 4

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

Remove the battery, turn the camera on and let it sit overnight. That will drain the internal battery and should get you back to factory new.

If that doesn't solve your problem then its a camera repair issue.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Thanks I will try that.

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

The camera has an internal battery which is recharged when the removeable (main battery) is in the camera.  The internal battery maintains the date & time (and a few other settings).  Higher end models have a seperate coin-size battery for this, but I think the T3 is using a permanent built-in battery (not user-replaceable.)

If you have not used the camera quite a while and either the main (removable) battery was either not charged or not stored in the camera, then being prompted to set the date & time is normal.

However... if you do leave a charged battery in the camera and use the camera regularly (main battery wasn't dead) and yet the camera STILL prompts for the date & time, then something may be wrong with the internal battery and you should contact Canon.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

After attempting to leave the camera on to drain the internal battery, it still wasn't working quite right. We called Canon Customer Service and it sounds like the internal battery might be the problem but we can't replace it so there isn't much we can do about it. For now, it takes pictures so we might be fine for a while. Thanks for the responses.

Announcements