cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS Rebel T3 1100D - curved black edges on picture

ie
Apprentice

I'm a novice a photography and bought a used Rebel T3 1100D with IS 18-55MM EFS lens. I shot some pictures for the first time and notice that with a wider angle RAW image, there is a curved black ribbon on the top and bottom of picture when I viewed on my computer. Was wondering if I am doing something wrong and how I should go about correct this?

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Are using software that applies lens distortion correction, it could be caused by that. You simply need to crop it out. Most software that applies lens correction does it automatically, but, yours may not.

View solution in original post

Peter
Authority
Authority

So, what kind of software are you using for raw files?

The strange white balance and the black fields tells me that you have opened the raw file in a software not dedecated for that.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

First get a brand new, high quality, from a known store, SD card.  Foramt it in the camera, not in your computer.

I prefer to stay at the 32GB size or less.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

BTW, was that a sample of a RAW file?  It looks like your WB is way off.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Thanks for the advice. I'll try your suggestion and see what happens.

Yes, I don't have the actual raw file uploaded, that is a screenshot of the raw file at 15%. The second picture displays the problem. You are right about the white balance. These were some of the first pictures I took.

Are using software that applies lens distortion correction, it could be caused by that. You simply need to crop it out. Most software that applies lens correction does it automatically, but, yours may not.

The software I was using was UFRaw.

Yes! It was PlanoTools lens model lens correction that made the curved edge.

And yes, the white balance was based on settings too which I am still working on learning to adjust.

Thanks for replies everyone, I almost thought I needed a new camera.

If you use Linux, you should really try Darktable. The reason why I changed from Windows to Ubuntu.

I only have Windows but if I get a Linux computer, I'll follow your recommendation.

Peter
Authority
Authority

So, what kind of software are you using for raw files?

The strange white balance and the black fields tells me that you have opened the raw file in a software not dedecated for that.

Announcements