cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS Rebel SL1 - auto flash doesn't work

edgesd
Apprentice

Brand new SL1 and the on-camera flash does not fire in any mode.  It pops up, but it won't flash in scene intelligent auto (green) or Creative Auto with the flash enabled, or any other mode.  No sound, no flash, nothing.  Any ideas?  We literally just took it out of the box (after charging the battery). 

7 REPLIES 7

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

There is a Flash Mode menu. Somebody set it to "off".

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Thanks for the reply.  Unless I'm missing something somewhere else, the flash is enabled, but it still won't fire.  Like I mentioned, this was basically right out of the box, so nobody has changed any settings except for me and I've tried on/off/auto etc. for the flash.  I've tried different modes and settings, but the flash still doesn't work. 

One last thing.... put the camera in "Program" mode, pop up the flash, then press the "Depth of Field Preview" button (on your camera I believe this is located just below the lens release button on the front of the camera body.)  

This should cause the flash to blink rapidly to create a near continuous light (even though it will flickr) lasting about 1 second.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

Thanks for the reply.  Tried it - nothing happened.  Beginning to think that this brand new, out of the box camera is defective.  In case anyone is wondering, I got this from the online jungle, not ebay or an east coast retailer. 

did you have to send the camera back?  I just got my SL1 yesterday, haven't had a chance to try it (will in a few hours) 

Yes, I sent it back.  Replacement works great.  Still don't know what the issue was.  Oh well...  Good luck with yours!

Thanks!  Glad you got a replacement that works well!  Enjoy!

Announcements