cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS Rebel SL1 Mode Dial Problems

CathRyann
Apprentice

Hi, I don't know much about cameras, but I have always wanted a nice one like this and a friend of mine told me that the SL1 was good for beginners. It arrived in the mail today and I just started to experiment and play around with it. I don't know if it's something I did by mistake or it's just an issue with the camera, but I realized the Mode Dial is not programmed correctly. To elaborate if I were to spin the dial to the A+ symbol (I'm sorry if that's not what it's called), the camera will go to the sports function. I'm sorry, but I really do no understand this and I would love it if someone could help me. Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

ScottyP
Authority
Hmmm.

On that camera the Sports mode is directly across from the A+ (Auto) mode position.  There is a little pip as the indicator on the camera on the left side of the dial.

Are you sure you are looking at the white pip and not the power on lever as the indicator?

If so, that is the problem.

If not:

Do ALL the modes register as the one directly across from the correct one, or are they all Sports or are they random or something?

The modes are printed on a thin metal "cap" that is literally glued on top of the knob.  I know because mine fell off once and I had to glue it back on.  I suppose it is possible that they put it on backwards at the factory, but I don't think so because there was a little slot in thge knob and a tab in the cap that have to line up or else you can't set the cap in flush.

If you are reading it right and the knob is wrong you need to return the camera.
Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

ScottyP
Authority
Hmmm.

On that camera the Sports mode is directly across from the A+ (Auto) mode position.  There is a little pip as the indicator on the camera on the left side of the dial.

Are you sure you are looking at the white pip and not the power on lever as the indicator?

If so, that is the problem.

If not:

Do ALL the modes register as the one directly across from the correct one, or are they all Sports or are they random or something?

The modes are printed on a thin metal "cap" that is literally glued on top of the knob.  I know because mine fell off once and I had to glue it back on.  I suppose it is possible that they put it on backwards at the factory, but I don't think so because there was a little slot in thge knob and a tab in the cap that have to line up or else you can't set the cap in flush.

If you are reading it right and the knob is wrong you need to return the camera.
Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Glad you are back on track. Don't get discouraged by what seems like complexity. The main central concept is super-simple. Go to google videos and look up tutorials on the exposure triangle. There are a dozen free short tutorials and once you watch a few it really opens up for you.

Also, I can't recommend highly enough the picture-filled book "Understanding Exposure" by Bryan Petersen. It makes everything clear in a short visual format.

Scott

ScottyP
Authority

Quick trick:

Turn the mode dial to Av.

Turn the dial by the "take picture" button to the LOWEST f/number your lens will do.  

Get yourself as close to the subject as possible.

Take the shot.

Put the center red reticle over the closest of the two (2) eyes of yopur subject. 

Enjoy the cool blurred background and dthe way the intended subject pops out.

Scott

Hey thanks for the tips and the quick trick!

theandies
Enthusiast

This is with all the respect in the world as I am a nice person.  If you don't know much about cameras and your camera is brand new then please, please, please read the manual.  This will clear up a lot of operational issues you might come across.  Now taking stunning pictures is another story.  I've read my manual front to back and still take mostly crappy pictures LoL.

If the manual is still vague then this is the place to get answers.  I know some sections in my manual I have to read twice before it makes sence.  The good people here do explain things a lot better.

Hi! I did read the manual from front to back, but I was still a bit confused. I get the premise of how to use my camera now just not what everything means, but oh well I'll work on that. Thanks though!

Announcements