cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS REBEL XTi

DifferentName
Contributor

Yes DifferentName, evey time I enter name, says try Different Name..........so I did. Works so I`m in.

Greeting from Texas.

Issues; I have a Canon EOS Rebel XTi and I`m sure it is dated. Up until March it worked just fine on Windows Vista.

Now that Vista is no longer supported by MS and the laptop finally bit the dust, I purchased Windows 10.

Sad to say when I plugged the camera in and it downloaded, it vanished.........but said it was there. After a few times beating on my desk I found the pictures. Anyway the problem is there is no way for me to have access to the original Canon program.

It is hard for me to accept that there seem to be no way to get the original camera software to do what it originally did.

Such as resizing, filtering, adding logo`s to prevent photo theft on the picture. All I have is pictures that I cannot upload to another website and then to my sales site. Very frustrating.

While not the most expensive camera, I am pretty mad that I have an issue now. What to do.

Originally I simply plugged in the camera into the old Vista.....new then an it downloaded the software and placed to icons on my desktop....wala! No pain and just that simple. I do not remember using any type of disc tp add software.

Was out of country for 4 years and come back to no support for Vista AND a camera that no longer works.

Very unstatisfied and wonder why there seems to be no fix. So I am trying here and would like to know if there is some work around to solve this problem.

I am not....repeat not a computer wizard,but this has baffled. My hope is there is someone who can help a novice get back in the groove. I have no problem sending the camera back to Canon for an upgrade if thats what it takes.

Thanks for any help and knowledge concerning the above complaint.

DN

13 REPLIES 13

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

You should be able to navigate to your camera's support page from this link.

https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/support

Once there, you should be able to select "Software" and then select an Operating System for which you want software.  You want the latest version of the "EOS Utility" to transfer files between the camera and the computer.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Been there, no help. 

Thanks

@DifferentName wrote:

Been there, no help. 

Thanks

Why not?  

Did you try selecting an older OS, like the OS that was out when the camera was released?  You might try a couple of newer releases, too, like as recent as Windows 7?

What is the name of what you are looking for?  The application that connects a laptop to a camera is called "EOS Utility."

@DifferentName wrote:

Yes DifferentName, evey time I enter name, says try Different Name..........so I did. Works so I`m in.

Greeting from Texas.

Issues; I have a Canon EOS Rebel XTi and I`m sure it is dated. Up until March it worked just fine on Windows Vista.

Now that Vista is no longer supported by MS and the laptop finally bit the dust, I purchased Windows 10.

Sad to say when I plugged the camera in and it downloaded, it vanished.........but said it was there. After a few times beating on my desk I found the pictures. Anyway the problem is there is no way for me to have access to the original Canon program.

It is hard for me to accept that there seem to be no way to get the original camera software to do what it originally did.

Such as resizing, filtering, adding logo`s to prevent photo theft on the picture. All I have is pictures that I cannot upload to another website and then to my sales site. Very frustrating.

While not the most expensive camera, I am pretty mad that I have an issue now. What to do.

Originally I simply plugged in the camera into the old Vista.....new then an it downloaded the software and placed to icons on my desktop....wala! No pain and just that simple. I do not remember using any type of disc tp add software.

Was out of country for 4 years and come back to no support for Vista AND a camera that no longer works.

Very unstatisfied and wonder why there seems to be no fix. So I am trying here and would like to know if there is some work around to solve this problem.

I am not....repeat not a computer wizard,but this has baffled. My hope is there is someone who can help a novice get back in the groove. I have no problem sending the camera back to Canon for an upgrade if thats what it takes.

Thanks for any help and knowledge concerning the above complaint.

DN

I'm not sure I fully grasp the breadth of your issue, but your main complaint seems to be that you can't download your pictures. By far the most straightforward solution is to use a card reader and stop worrying about whether direct downloading works. Don't forget that the card reader has to work on CF cards, since that's what an XTi takes; but most card readers do, so that shouldn't be a problem.

Are you using Windows 10 Pro or the Home Edition? If the latter, many users have reported that there are several apps or drivers that are not turned on by default, but are needed by the Canon software. (They are operational in the Pro version, and the problems don't occur.) Since I use the Pro version, I never remember what the missing programs are, but there are some in this forum who will. And you can probably find out on the Microsoft Web site.

Another possible explanation is that very old Rebels used a different download protocol from the one in common use today. I think the XTi falls on the right side of that boundary, but I'm not certain of it. Some have suggested that the XTi can use either protocol via a menu selection, but I've never been able to find it. In any case, that seems like an unlikely cause of your problems, given that it worked for you in Vista (which, by the way, was a much dodgier OS for connecting unfamiliar devices than Windows 10 is).

Before you get too enamored of installing and using the XTi's original software, be warned that it didn't work nearly as well as Canon's current software does, and I've seen compatibility issues with image files generated by those old programs. For example, early versions of Digital Photo Professional didn't do rotation, so Canon included a third-party editor that did. But JPEGs produced by that editor sometimes cause recent versions of DPP to crash or can't be read by it at all. So I'd start with the most recent versions of DPP (3.15.0.0 and 4.6.10.0) and work backwards from there if necessary. Version 4 has many more features than Version 3, but is abysmally slow. Version 4 started out not supporting any Rebel, but the XTi was recently added to the compatibility list, and I believe I've seen it work on RAW files from my XTi.

Sending the camera back to Canon is probably a non-starter (their support for the XTi ended long ago), but do be sure that it has the latest firmware. I'd tell you what mine has, since it's probably current. But it appears that the battery is dead - which isn't surprising, since I haven't used it in years. The Canon site should have it, but you'll probably have to browse for it in their legacy section.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Well after going to the solution help page, my camera is not listed. It says to download "EOS Digital Solution Disk Softwear"

Have tried to find this and cannot. Like I said in the beginning, not a computer guy and Windows 10 has me by the short hairs,

Thanks for the help, but I am just as lost as when I began this. I`m still pounding away and having no success.

Thank you all

DN

@DifferentName wrote:

Well after going to the solution help page, my camera is not listed. It says to download "EOS Digital Solution Disk Softwear"

Have tried to find this and cannot. Like I said in the beginning, not a computer guy and Windows 10 has me by the short hairs,

Thanks for the help, but I am just as lost as when I began this. I`m still pounding away and having no success.

Thank you all

DN

You might need the serial number on the camera body to download some packages.

Rebel XTi Support Page for Software Downloads

Try that.  Let us know how it works out for you.

Ok, managed to download the first two, but cannot download the last one.

Says I need a disk (software) to continue.

I do not remember a disk when I installed it in my Vista (Windows) that was a long time ago and I just cannot remember a disk.

The only thing in the original box is a mini CD........but believe that to something else and really do not remember ever using it.

That disk (mini) is a SanDisk (Rescue PRO)  I`m going to be really mad if I`m missing a full sized disk. Most of my stuff is still in storage in boxes. Being a hoarder when it comes to software..........if it came with a full sized disk, I will have it somewhere but it`s the somewhere that concerns me.  

Thanks so much for the link, hard for m to navigate this site. Sometimes I find something and then cannot find the page again.

I`m slowly getting there I hope.

Thank you

DN 

@DifferentName wrote:

Ok, managed to download the first two, but cannot download the last one.

Says I need a disk (software) to continue.

I do not remember a disk when I installed it in my Vista (Windows) that was a long time ago and I just cannot remember a disk.

The only thing in the original box is a mini CD........but believe that to something else and really do not remember ever using it.

That disk (mini) is a SanDisk (Rescue PRO)  I`m going to be really mad if I`m missing a full sized disk. Most of my stuff is still in storage in boxes. Being a hoarder when it comes to software..........if it came with a full sized disk, I will have it somewhere but it`s the somewhere that concerns me.  

Thanks so much for the link, hard for m to navigate this site. Sometimes I find something and then cannot find the page again.

I`m slowly getting there I hope.

Thank you

DN 

For Digital Photo Professional 4 and EOS Utility 3 you don't need a disk, just a camera serial number to provide when you download them. EOSU 3 includes EOSU 2, so you probably already have that. DPP 3 does require a "solution disk", but so many recent laptops and tablets have no provision to read a physical disk that Canon relented and now provides it on-line as well. I'm not sure exactly where it is on the Canon site. (Canon re-organized their site a couple of years ago and made everything harder to find.) But if you can't find it, their Customer Service people should be able to help you. It's just a copy of the physical disk that was current at the time, so you'll have to apply updates to it. But that's a rather minor annoyance.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Ok fellows, did he serial number download and the one prior to it tht did not require SN.

Went on a mad terror box raid, but then thought the software could be in the house.

Boxes of pictures and software were unpacked and stored inside so the extreme heat and cold would not effect them.

Went into the extra room and luck was with me. The complete set of books and disk were in that drawer.

So now have "everything" that came with camera. I forgot I removed that once everything was loaded on old computer.

Ver. 14.3 EOS Solution Disk.

Next question: I also came across another disk that was in the mix and wonder if it too should be downloaded.

It is "HP Photosmart Plus B209"

I`m not sure if I loaded this program or not, but more than likely I did. Hard to remember what I did nearly 10 years ago when I first got the new laptop (Vista).

Any advice on this disk?

Thank you all, man has this been an adventure. Your help has at least saved me hair loss.

DN 

Announcements