Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS 600D - Video Duration

ronniesblog
Apprentice

My video recordings stop at 11minutes

I'm recording at 1920x1080 25fps

I have a 16GB SD card

Page 151 in the manual says that with a 16GB SD I can record up to 44 minutes at 11820x1080, but his is not happening...only 11 minutes

Am I missing something?

thanks

8 REPLIES 8

Skirball
Authority

There's a couple of caveats in there, although Canon probably could have been clearer.

Due to the file system (FAT32) of the SD card no file can be larger than 4 gigs (they breifly mention it at the top of the page), so the camera stops once it hits that limit.  Newer cameras overcome this limitation by seemlessly starting a new file, but the 600D doesn't do that.  You have to manually restart the video.  The chart lists the total time you could expect to get out of a 16 gB card - 44 minutes - which is a bit misleading, but seems to be accurate if you got 11 minutes out of a 4 gb file.

If you reduce the resolution you can extend the time you get per file, but eventually you'll hit the 30 minute limit (mentioned at bottom of page).  No dSLR can go over this limit.

Yes it is misleading, not fair.

thanks

ezpop
Rising Star

Magic Lantern has a movie restart feature.

"While this setting is on, movie recording will restart automatically, unless you stop it. There will be a few seconds skipped during restarting."

http://wiki.magiclantern.fm/userguide

thanks, still not good enough.... need to sell my camera which is a pity because I really love it

What people miss is the fact it is a DSLR camera that is made to shoot stills.  The fact it can shoot video doesn't automatically turn it into a "video" camera.  It still remains a DSLR.

You need a true vidoe camera if your goal is videos.  BTW, most video camera can produce stills.  Not very well, either, but thay can.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@ebiggs1 wrote:

You need a true vidoe camera if your goal is videos. 

http://www.imdb.com/list/ls059550382/

@ronniesblog wrote:

thanks, still not good enough.... need to sell my camera which is a pity because I really love it

I don't know what kind of features they offer, but the video quality of the those little GoPros always amazes me.  Not sure if that'd work for you, but they're rugged little units. 

I was told that the Canon could shoot up to 40+ min video provied I had the appropriate SD card capacity.

This was why I paid the money and bought the camera. So the shop steward is a little bit dissalusioned by Canon's communication too.

Anyway, problem solved. I sold the Canon and bought a Panasonic camcorder

Announcements