cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS 350D - filesystem on compact flash card?

hannah2
Apprentice

Hello,

my used EOS comes with an CF-card 'ELITE PRO, 50x, KINGSTON'. The operating system I use is UBUNTU 14.04 LTS.

I'm able to write, read and delete all files of the card when it is inside the EOS. Inserted in the usb-cardreader I can't find any files/pictures on the card but can write jpeg-files to it. This files are not visible if the card is fitted to the EOS. What kind of filesystem will be created, formatting the card with the EOS-function format?

Is there anybody who can help?

Kindly regards

Hannah

Good old stuff: EOS 350D, EF-S 18-55mm, EF 55-200 mm, LENOVO ThinkPad R61i + HAMA USB 2.0 Card Reader, UBUNTU 14.04 LTS.

Tornesch, Schleswig-Holstein, Germany
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Peter
Authority
Authority

No issues with Ubuntu 18.04 and 300D. Not even an issue with Ubuntu 18.04 and Canon EOS DCS 3c from 1995. My experiance is that card readers are the weakest point in the chain.

Skärmbild från 2019-12-28 09-07-28.png

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Given its age, I suspect FAT16 or 32.   It might have some additional attributes, I honestly don't know.  Cards should always be formatted in the camera. 

Pulling bits and pieces from the web:

Folders: created automatically by camera; captured images are automatically assigned a file number fro 0001 to 9999; up to 100 images can be stored in each folder.

File numbering:
• continuous (even after you replace the CF card)
• auto reset (starts from 0001 with each newly formatted CF card; starts from the last recorded image if the replacement card already holds images)

I'm not a fan of old tech

7AF points

8MP

The unknown problems, compromises (Your flash issue error5), and comptibility issue, file system uncertainty (even with Ubuntu) makes me believe a new(er) camera woud be a really good idea. 

The 350D is not vintage or classic, its just old.  Someone who is much wiser than I often says "any camera" is better than "no camera" but I'd rather spend my time taking pictures. 

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Peter
Authority
Authority

No issues with Ubuntu 18.04 and 300D. Not even an issue with Ubuntu 18.04 and Canon EOS DCS 3c from 1995. My experiance is that card readers are the weakest point in the chain.

Skärmbild från 2019-12-28 09-07-28.png

Hello Peter,

many thanks for your recommendation relating to the cardreader as the weakest point in the chain.

IMG_0002.JPG

Above my first picture captured by EOS 350D read from the compact flash disk by my brand-new reader. Smiley Wink

Auswahl_001.jpg

I wish you to have a nice weekend and a successful start to the new year.

Kind regards

Hannah

Good old stuff: EOS 350D, EF-S 18-55mm, EF 55-200 mm, LENOVO ThinkPad R61i + HAMA USB 2.0 Card Reader, UBUNTU 14.04 LTS.

Tornesch, Schleswig-Holstein, Germany
Announcements