cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS 250D screen blank after fall - still shoots

garuda
Apprentice
Hi! I had an unfortunate accident last night and my EOS 250D had a hard fall onto a rock. When I picked it up the screen was blank, but still backlit. I tried taking a photo and it still shot fine with the settings I was using (timer and long exposure). I attempted to ensure it was just a cable that had shaken loose bt opening the screen part, but everything seems tight and the screen is still blank.

Essentially what I want to know is exactly where the issue lies and what needs to be replaced. If it's just the LCD, I feel confident enough to do that myself, but it's not clear to me that's the issue, since the backlight still works as expected, just nothing else shows up.

Any ideas for how I can determine the exact issue and/or how to fix it without sending it in (I'm currently traveling and would like it back in working order ASAP)? Thanks!!
3 REPLIES 3

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

Every day you are without a camera when you are traveling is a day lost, so I have a couple of suggestions:
Can you still see a display in the viewfinder? If it is still working then I would suggest use that to expose and frame your shots (generations of photographers have not had an LCD and did absolutely fine).
If you have a suitable smartphone you should be able to monitor and control the camera via that, using the Canon Connect software that you can download off the web.

Once you get home, and can stick around to get a reputable tech to check out your camera, then you can decide what to do.  Since the camera is a relatively new model, you should be aware that trying to fix it yourself will void any warranty, whereas while you will likely have to pay for this repair, if it is done by an authorized repair centre, your warranty should be maintained.

@garuda wrote:
Hi! I had an unfortunate accident last night and my EOS 250D had a hard fall onto a rock. When I picked it up the screen was blank, but still backlit. I tried taking a photo and it still shot fine with the settings I was using (timer and long exposure). I attempted to ensure it was just a cable that had shaken loose bt opening the screen part, but everything seems tight and the screen is still blank.

Essentially what I want to know is exactly where the issue lies and what needs to be replaced. If it's just the LCD, I feel confident enough to do that myself, but it's not clear to me that's the issue, since the backlight still works as expected, just nothing else shows up.

Any ideas for how I can determine the exact issue and/or how to fix it without sending it in (I'm currently traveling and would like it back in working order ASAP)? Thanks!!

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

garuda
Apprentice
Thank you for the reply! I can still see the viewfinder and modify most the settings. The main issue I'm now facing is that I had the self-timer set for 10 seconds and see no way of changing that without using the menus on the screen. Is there any way to do this?

I got excited at the prospect of being able to use canon connect. I did use the app yesterday, but since the screen is broken, I can't follow the instructions on the app to connect it. I was hoping the wifi settings had saved and it would connect automatically, but it won't connect. It doesn't appear to be possible to connect via usb.

Thanks again!

Is that the same as the SL3? I think it is.  The camera should go to Canon.  A hard fall has most likely done more bad things inside. The LCD may only be a symptom. Canon will test everything and recalibrate everything when they do the repair.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements