cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS 250 not focusing and wont take pictures

dpvicedo
Apprentice

HELP! I just purchased EOS 250D/SL3 and i dont know if my problems are factory defects or maybe i mistakenly made unecessary adjustments on the camera settings. I have a zero to minimal knowledge with cameras so please tell me if im asking nonsense questions here 🙂

My problems are: 

1. lens wont autofocus and wont take pictures after several tries / or will take forever to take pictures

2. flash keeps on flickering when trying to take a picture/focus and it is showing BUSY

3. lens are making a noise when autofocusing, but the lens are not focusing/moving anyway

Thank you in advance! 

15 REPLIES 15

@ebiggs1 wrote:

This is very bad advise and I hope you did not try it.

Try this:

1. Take the lens off of your camera.
  2. Put the lens in MF mode.
  3. Twist the FOCUS ring (the tip of the lens) all the way to one side (extend it). You may hear a click noise or two, this is good, but don't FORCE the lens.
  4. Twist the FOCUS ring all the way to the opposite side (retract it). Again, you may hear a couple of clicking noises. What we hope is happening is the focusing motor being put back into its proper place.
  5. Put the lens back on the camera.
  6. Put the lens in AF mode.
  7. Turn the camera on.
  8. Put the camera in AUTO or P mode.
  9. Take a test photo.

This procedure is for a jammed lens not a camera/lens combo that isn't taking pictures or working correctly. The lens this does work on is fragile and can be damaged easily.

Nonsense. If a lens is so fragile that it can be damaged easily by putting it through its full focus cycle, then you might as well throw it away.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Robert perhaps you should read No. 4 more slowly.

The problem occurs when someone tries to move the focus ring while the AF motor is also trying to.  Turning the focus ring turns all of the AF mechanisms and probably turns it backwards. The motor itself will probably take it, but the transmission from the motor to the focus ring is where you put the strain. 

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@ebiggs1 wrote:

Robert perhaps you should read No. 4 more slowly.

The problem occurs when someone tries to move the focus ring while the AF motor is also trying to.  Turning the focus ring turns all of the AF mechanisms and probably turns it backwards. The motor itself will probably take it, but the transmission from the motor to the focus ring is where you put the strain. 

Maybe you should read step 2 more slowly. In MF mode, turning the focus ring through its entire range is a perfectly normal operation and should have no detrimental effect whatever.

If the AF moror is jammed, steps 3 and 4 may do more harm than good, or they may fix the problem. Although I don't think Canon invented that procedure, moderators of this forum have been known to recommend it.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

"I would avoid doing anything that would give reason for the a fix to be declined under warranty."

Absolutely Trevor it only makes sense.  And I am sure Robert agrees after he has had another cup of coffee.

Two things Robert it does lead one to believe the mech is fragile and two, "...moderators of this forum have been known to recommend it.", moderators are representing Canon.  If they recommend something, Canon is and will still be responsible.

I am repeating, "The problem occurs when someone tries to move the focus ring while the AF motor is also trying to.  Turning the focus ring turns all of the AF mechanisms and probably turns it backwards. The motor itself will probably take it, but the transmission from the motor to the focus ring is where you put the strain."

EB

Whether the procedure works or not, given that the camera has only recently been purchased, I would avoid doing anything that would give reason for the a fix to be declined under warranty.  After going through all the things one can do without interfering with the physical configuration of the lens I would stop there.  I won't debate the pros and cons of manipulating the lens, but if a Canon authorized person does it that relieves the OP of any responsibity of the matter.  That's what warranties are for.

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Put the camera in P mode. ISO 200, average WB. Set lens to the AF position and on a Sunny day go outside and take a few shots at normal distances.  If it works, it works, If it doesn't then it is faulty and needs repair.  Oh, BTW, reset the camera to default setting in the menus under the tools tab before doing this test. Remember to clear all custom settings, too.

EB
National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements