cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS 2000D - Beginner questions

normanred56
Apprentice

Hey!

I am an absolute newbie to the whole DSLR game. In fact, last time I owned a camera (excluding phones), I was around 10 years old.

Now I'd like to get into DSLRs, for multiple reasons. I do live streaming and also need to post the occasional picture on Instagram. I'm not happy with my phone's camera anymore and would like to upgrade.

I found the Canon EOS 2000D and heard it would be a good beginner DSLR. What's your take on that? Also, I have multiple more questions.

Longevity / Lenses

I understand a major part of how an image looks comes down to the lens. Also, there seem to be three different lens types and with the EOS 2000D, I can use EF and EF-S lenses. Since I've never used lenses before: is that going to last me a long time? Or is the majority of "great" lenses out there not compatible, so that if and when I want to upgrade again, I'd need to purchase yet another camera? Also, are these lens types manufacturer specific, so I couldn't attach a - let's say - Sony lens to the Canon DSLR?

Then, for the probably most embarrassing question here: on the camera's official site, it seems like the delivery contents do not include a lens at all - but the text says all I'd need to start would be a bag and an sd card. Am I just stupid and there is a lens included, do I not even need a lens, or is it something completely different? Huh, I feel like I'm going to cringe badly going back to this post in a few months.

EDIT: I just saw that I can choose to buy lenses immediately with the DSLR. However, the statement saying I'd only need an sd card and bag still kind of throws me off.

Webcam Utility

A big part of what I'd use the camera for is livestreaming. I heard Canon has a Webcam Utility software that allows using Canon cameras as a webcam without having to purchase something like an Elgato Camlink. That's a major point for me to go for a Canon instead of for example a GoPro 4 (cheaper, okay image quality for streaming, but requires Camlink)

On Canon's website, I couldn't find the EOS 2000D under the supported cameras, but I found the Rebel T7 and I read that those are identical cameras. Is that correct and does that mean the EOS 2000D can use the webcam utility?

2 REPLIES 2

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

@normanred56 wrote:

Hey!

I am an absolute newbie to the whole DSLR game. In fact, last time I owned a camera (excluding phones), I was around 10 years old.

Now I'd like to get into DSLRs, for multiple reasons. I do live streaming and also need to post the occasional picture on Instagram. I'm not happy with my phone's camera anymore and would like to upgrade.

I found the Canon EOS 2000D and heard it would be a good beginner DSLR. What's your take on that? Also, I have multiple more questions.

Longevity / Lenses

I understand a major part of how an image looks comes down to the lens. Also, there seem to be three different lens types and with the EOS 2000D, I can use EF and EF-S lenses. Since I've never used lenses before: is that going to last me a long time? Or is the majority of "great" lenses out there not compatible, so that if and when I want to upgrade again, I'd need to purchase yet another camera? Also, are these lens types manufacturer specific, so I couldn't attach a - let's say - Sony lens to the Canon DSLR?

Then, for the probably most embarrassing question here: on the camera's official site, it seems like the delivery contents do not include a lens at all - but the text says all I'd need to start would be a bag and an sd card. Am I just stupid and there is a lens included, do I not even need a lens, or is it something completely different? Huh, I feel like I'm going to cringe badly going back to this post in a few months.

EDIT: I just saw that I can choose to buy lenses immediately with the DSLR. However, the statement saying I'd only need an sd card and bag still kind of throws me off.

Webcam Utility

A big part of what I'd use the camera for is livestreaming. I heard Canon has a Webcam Utility software that allows using Canon cameras as a webcam without having to purchase something like an Elgato Camlink. That's a major point for me to go for a Canon instead of for example a GoPro 4 (cheaper, okay image quality for streaming, but requires Camlink)

On Canon's website, I couldn't find the EOS 2000D under the supported cameras, but I found the Rebel T7 and I read that those are identical cameras. Is that correct and does that mean the EOS 2000D can use the webcam utility?

Welcome to the forum.

Is this what you are looking at?

Search Results — Canon UK Store

Some come with a lens and some don't.

When I checked the US support site the T7/2000D are listed as supported for both the Windows and Mac versions of the Webcam Utility.

For livestreaming and Instagram any of the Canon kit lenses are adequate. Just be sure to get an STM version of the lens.

Any lens that says it is EF-mount compatible (Canon or third party) will fit your camera.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

What type of use cases do you have for the web cam utility?  The Utility app does have limitations, and the camera has its' own set of limitations. This is one of the least expensive DSLRs that Canon sells.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
Announcements