cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS 1100D sensor

b1llj0
Contributor

hi

Iseem to have a cleaning fluid mark on my sensor which reults in a greyish mark down all photos, have had a look at the sensor and can see a thin vertical line and some dots.  I have tried to clean it usind correct swabs and on line advise, but these marks are stubborn and appear to be a stain, would be greatfull for any advice, thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

I would send it to Canon for a cleaning and check out.  Might as well ask for a shutter count, too.  Yeah, it may costs as much as buying a used camera of the same model, but this one is your keepsake.  

It might not be really worth it, but I would do go for it just this once, anyway.  

The recourse is to go out and buy a new camera, which will cost more.  Or, you could roll the dice and buy and used camera.  Another option would be the Canon Online Refurbished Store, which is a very good option because Canon gives you a one year warranty on Refurbished gear.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

wq9nsc
Authority
Authority

This falls into an area where it is easy to do damage.  I am not sure of the current price/value of the 1100D but consider whether it is worthwhile to send it to Canon to get it properly serviced.  A large camera shop MAY have a competent individual that can take care of this without damage.

It has been a LONG time since I have dealt with cleaning high quality optical surfaces with anything other than the usual cleaner but near pure methanol used to be the cleaner of choice since it is reasonably aggressive and doesn't contain any contaminants that will be left when it evaporates.  Check whether any of the cleaning fluids are composed of this or a modern alternative that is sensor friendly.

If you have a stain then you need something sufficiently strong to attack it after which you will need to effectively flush that area once the cleaner breaks it up so you will probably need to use multiple applications of cleaner and swabs.  Resist any urge to put pressure on the swab or you are likely to cause surface damage to the sensor (or the anti-aliasing lowpass filter that sits on it).  If a proper cleaner for the stain is available it will break it up without pressure and then it is simply a matter or removing the residue while it is still in a liquid state via multiple swabs and perhaps a second treatment.  It is likely the original spots, once dried, are resistant to the typical cleaners aimed primarily at providing a liquid attractant causing dust and small particles to stick to the swab.

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

Thank you i have ordered some stronger cleaner

Be very careful with a stronger cleaner both for you and the camera.  Even in countries with fairly strict safety regulations a lot of stuff is available through fairly normal suppliers that potentially has significant health concerns.  Carbon Tet used to be one of the most popular cleaners for electronic usage and it is very good in that application for a number of reasons but carelessly handled it is dangerous which has made it far more difficult to obtain.

Also be very careful not to get it on anything else because something that is sensor safe may readily attack some plastics and other composite materials.

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

Thank you for advise, will take great care

"Thank you i have ordered some stronger cleaner"

This indicates to me you need to have a certified tech look at it.  It is time to cut your loss.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

I would send it to Canon for a cleaning and check out.  Might as well ask for a shutter count, too.  Yeah, it may costs as much as buying a used camera of the same model, but this one is your keepsake.  

It might not be really worth it, but I would do go for it just this once, anyway.  

The recourse is to go out and buy a new camera, which will cost more.  Or, you could roll the dice and buy and used camera.  Another option would be the Canon Online Refurbished Store, which is a very good option because Canon gives you a one year warranty on Refurbished gear.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"I have tried to clean it usind correct swabs and on line advise,..."

I would not be thrilled with this statement. It isn't difficult to clean a sensor unless you don't know what you are doing. Its going to cost you.  Either to have it serviced or buy a different camera.  Your choice.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

thank you for your advise

Thanks that is what i thought

Announcements