cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dust speckles under the LCD monitor screen

mpliska
Contributor

Hi, 

I have a Canon Rebel T3i and have had it for a year and a half.I love it. However, lately I've noticed several speckles of dust under the LCD monitor screen. it's not affecting my pictures but is kind of distracting when i'm looking at the pictures on the monitor. Anyone else familiar with this problem or know what I can do about this?

Mary

31 REPLIES 31

It wasn't that difficult (3/10) The only thing that you could damage is the LCD itself or the ribbon connecting it if you are not careful.  If you have the proper tools (very small phillips screw driver), and take your time, it's a fairly trivial task.   Not sure if I can post videos, but this video seems to have the process outlined pretty well.   

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EB9l2-MYlnQ&ab_channel=Greg%27sGarage

For clarity on this, you do not need to disconnect the ribbon since you're not changing the LCD.  If you need to change the LCD, even that is trivial and just involves disconnecting and reconnecting the 2 ribbons.  I've checked and the LCD is about $15-20 depending on where you get it.   Also since the plastic cover on the camera I got has scratches, I have ordered a replacement one, which I will replace once it arrives.  That cost about $7.  

If you have no experience at making repairs to electronic devices, then I would strongly advise against making your first attempt with your DSLR.  Nothing is ever as simple as it seems. 

For example, I don't have to watch the video at the above link to know that it completely ignores taking precautions against static discharges, because almost none of them do.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

" Nothing is ever as simple as it seems."

That is the truth!  And it is likely.

None of us know the OP's mechanical ability.  There is no way I would let my wife try and I am sure she would not even attempt this.  Both of us know it would end poorly if she did.  Maybe the OP assembles cameras for a living, that would be different. Who knows?

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

ebiggs1 and Waddizzle I agree on both your points regarding the difficulty and risks of doing such things.  I for one try to do things myself and would not cough up $190 to ship the camera to a repair ship to do something that takes 10 minutes to do myself.  I am not a camera repair person, but with a video and the right tools, the average consumer can save themselves a lot of money.  If it wasn't for the ludcrious prices some of these vendors charge for simple repairs, I would not be advocating it.  Even the lack of knowledge from some of the technical people at these vendors is apalling.  

@KaTaHar wrote:

ebiggs1 and Waddizzle I agree on both your points regarding the difficulty and risks of doing such things.  I for one try to do things myself and would not cough up $190 to ship the camera to a repair ship to do something that takes 10 minutes to do myself.  I am not a camera repair person, but with a video and the right tools, the average consumer can save themselves a lot of money.  If it wasn't for the ludcrious prices some of these vendors charge for simple repairs, I would not be advocating it.  Even the lack of knowledge from some of the technical people at these vendors is apalling.  

In that case, always advocate it with warnings and cautions.  As I noted, most of the videos out there do not have any safety precautions, none whatsoever.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Noted, I'm new to this forum and will do that next time. Thanks for the feedback.

" I for one try to do things myself and would not cough up $190 to ship the camera to a repair ..."

The suggestion is good for those that want to attempt it.  I might but I have been doing this my whole life. A $190 repair can become a $400 dollar repair in a heartbeat.  Sometimes it is best to quit while you are ahead.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

After researching on the net, it seems quite a few people have issue with dust in the LCD unit.  This a simple procedure to clean something that's dirty with no parts to buy.   It has nothing to do with the camera unit itself.  Even if someone were to damage the LCD unit, cables, backing or plastic cover, all the parts can be replaced for under $50.  Hardly close to the $190 canon is charging.  If you're out of warranty or bought a unit used, this is an easy $0 fix. I rest my case. 

@Waddizzle wrote:

If you have no experience at making repairs to electronic devices, then I would strongly advise against making your first attempt with your DSLR.  Nothing is ever as simple as it seems. ...

Yeah, but how many people in this forum have never repaired an electronic device? Back in the old days, I believe you're old enough to recall, we used to build our own.  Smiley Happy

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Heathkit, sigh.....

Announcements