cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dull Images on 600D and Speedlite Question

Brian205
Contributor

a) I got a used Canon 600D.

When I take pictures with it. The Images on the Camera Screen have High Contrast.  When I downloaded and save the Images on my Computer. the Images are Low Contrast, Dull Images.. ... I have to adjust increase the Picture Style Contrast on the Camera to make a a Bit better.

why is this ?

I use a Transcend 4G Card which came with the Camera.

is this because its a Old or Used Camera or the Card is not so good ?

-----------------------

b) Is the Yongnuo YN 560 IV the Best Value Speedlite.

I am doing to buy one for my 600d

I am a Hobbyist 🙂

-------------

21 REPLIES 21

@Brian205 wrote:

a) I got a used Canon 600D.

When I take pictures with it. The Images on the Camera Screen have High Contrast.  When I downloaded and save the Images on my Computer. the Images are Low Contrast, Dull Images.. ... I have to adjust increase the Picture Style Contrast on the Camera to make a a Bit better.

why is this ?

We sometimes see this complaint if the user has his camera (or photo editor) set to the wrong color space, i.e. Adobe RGB rather than the more "normal" sRGB. Adobe RGB actually has a broader gamut and can register fine color distinctions that sRGB cannot. But the printer or display device has to be specifically set up for it; otherwise the images look dull. It sounds as though you're not using a photo editor, and I don't know whether the 600D is even capable of using Adobe RGB. But it's worth looking into; maybe the previous owner left the camera with a setting you don't want.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

As soon as I read your complaint I thought "wrong color space" too.

If your file numbers begin with the underscore ( _MG ) then the camera is set to Adobe RGB which you don't want. Your files should start with IMG.

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

ScottyP
Authority
Hi Brian.

Are you shooting in RAW or JPEG?

If you are shooting in RAW that is great for many reasons, but your out of camera product will be very dull compared to the preview you saw in the camera LCD. You must do some post processing just to make it look acceptable.

Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?

And if it is used, you might just take 10 seconds in the Menu to reset all settings back to default, just in case the previous owner has some peculiar things set up in there that could give you problems.
Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

And as for Yongnuo flashes I think they are great for a hobbyist. They are inexpensive enough to get two and some radio triggers.

A cheap flash setup off-camera will probably look better than a very expensive one mounted in the hot shoe on the camera. Straight-on flash makes flat images, awful shadows on the wall behind the subject, and red eye.
Scott

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Would it be possibile to see an example?  Can you u/l one?  I am going to disagree with the other two and say it is not your color space.  But I am not goin gto offer a different answer until I can see a sample.  You might try a full reset of the camera.  Use the green square and shoot in broad daylight and see what happens.

As to color space, although some or even most, consumer printers do not use AdobeRGB, they still can benefit from the larger color space.  The areas that are within their specs will look fuller and brighter.  Photos for the web may not, however.

Personally I would/will never buy a Yongnuo YN 560 IV for your Rebel T3i.  Some folks like them just fine.  They are not for me.

BTW, some folks cuss them, too.  I see their quality as hit and miss.  If you get a good one you are good to go.  My recommendation for your camera is the EX 430 EX II.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Brian205
Contributor

Thanks for the Replies. the Images are in IMG.      also in JPEG. Possibly its the Lighting and exposure with these pictures. but it generally  lacks contrast. It Looks better on the LCD of the camera than in the computer.

here are samples.sample

@Brian205 wrote:

Thanks for the Replies. the Images are in IMG.      also in JPEG. Possibly its the Lighting and exposure with these pictures. but it generally  lacks contrast. It Looks better on the LCD of the camera than in the computer.

here are samples.sample

Underexposed.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Brian205
Contributor

pics testings.JPG

Announcements