cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dots on pictures

CEGLOBAL4LIFE
Contributor

Hi, I have a Canon EOS Rebel T3. When taking pixs, sometimes come out with dot?, even I take care about going on different  temperatures, and how and what can I use to clean lenses???? Thnks

8 REPLIES 8

cicopo
Elite

Please crop & post a sample or 2 so we can see what's happening.

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

CEGLOBAL4LIFE
Contributor

032412-123012 899.JPG

Looks like it could be dirt all right. If it's always in the exact same place it's most likely on the sensor but are you using more than 1 lens & is it caused by a specific lens? Check the lens front & rear elements for dirt, plus look very carefully inside it to see if there a big spot stuck on 1 of the elements. Usually dirt inside doesn't show up in the photos but there are exceptions.

Dirt on the sensor becomes more obvious at small apertures & the common test for that used to be to shoot a few shots of the sky starting at f11 & then f16 etc. & then examine those shots carefully on your monitor. 

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

Thnks cicopo. Yes, looks on same spot,  I use EFS 18-55mm and switch to EFS 55-250mm, when I'm taking pix outside.  I clean the mirror inside with dry cotton swabbs.

I don't know if I'm the right thing by using dry cotton swabbs?????

IF the spot appears on all of your photos (in the same place) using both lenses it's sensor dirt BUT if it's only from using one of the lenses it's dirt on a lens element.

The dirt isn't on the mirror it's on the sensor which is behind the mirror & behind the shutter. Cleaning it is not something to take a shot at without doing a lot of research so you have a thorough understanding of what needs doing & how easy it could be to damage the filter on the actual sensor. The recommended way to attempt to clean it under normal circumstances is with a blast of air from what's known as a "rocket blower"

Do a search on YouTube for sensor cleaning videos, and get a few different opinions before even thinking about trying it yourself, but it can be done at home once you know what you're up against & what tools you'll need. DO NOT use any chemical cleaners unless they are specifically designed for sensor cleaning & are the correct one for your camera. There have been reports of chemical damage over the years because not all of the filters are made from the same material.

FYI the way the camera works is that you look through the viewfinder which lets you see through the lens by the reflection from the mirror but when you take the shot the mirror flips up out of the light path & the shutter opens & closes so that the light hits the senson. The mirror is then dropped back down & you can again see through the lens. That all takes place in just a few milliseconds in good light so just imagine how fast that's happening at your max FPS rate.

Thnks been a great help, now I'm doing my research on youtube....... thnks again

Thnks again cicopo, I bought a GIOTTOS Rocket-Air, not expensive at all, and I turned on camera and while  pressing the button was using the Rocket and really cleans waht it was inside, looks was behind the shutter. As a reminder, BEFORE DOING THIS PROCESS REMEMBER  TO TAKE OUT THE MEMORY CARD, TO AVOID LOOSING ANY PICTURE..... IT WAS A SAFE WAY FOR ME NOT TO LOOSE ANY PICTURE.............

Announcements