cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does the T7 retract lens on shutoff?

cloudflyer11
Apprentice

I got a refurbished Rebel T7 to give as a gift, and noticed that the lenses don't seem to retract their focus on poweroff like they do on my T8i--I tried both the kit lens it came with (18-55mm IS II) and my 50mm STM. I have to retract the lens with the focus ring manually.

Is that how the T7 is supposed to work? I read elsewhere that auto retract might be a feature only implimented in later processor cameras, but wanted to make sure it's not faulty before I give my gift. Thank you!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Well thats interesting..  never knew a rebel series did this:

T8i supports this under the following conditions  

C.Fn 14: Retract lens on power off

You can set whether to retract gear-type STM lenses (such as EF40mm f/2.8 STM) automatically when the camera's power switch is set to Power off.

0: Enable

1: Disable

Caution

With auto power off, the lens will not retract regardless of the setting.
Before detaching the lens, make sure that it is retracted.
Note

When [0:Enable] is set, this function takes effect regardless of the lens's focus mode switch setting (AF or MF).

However, the T7 does not support this feature

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

You can set whether to retract gear-type STM lenses (such as EF40mm f/2.8 STM) automatically when the camera's power switch is set to Power off.

0: Enable

1: Disable

Caution

With auto power off, the lens will not retract regardless of the setting.
Before detaching the lens, make sure that it is retracted.
Note

When [0:Enable] is set, this function takes effect regardless of the lens's focus mode switch setting (AF or MF).

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Thank you! That's what I needed to know!

@shadowsports wrote:

Here's an article from Canon about the various types of lenses, including which ones are gear-type STM lenses.

https://www.canon-europe.com/lenses/tech-guide/focusing/

gear-type STM lenses

Steve Thomas

Announcements