cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does the SL1 support Auto-ISO in manual mode?

Kiyoris
Contributor

Hi there,

Does the SL1 meter properly in manual mode and change AUTO ISO?

Thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

Yes it does.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15

@ebiggs1 wrote:

To each their own I guess.

I have complete manual control with the ISO set and my thumb on the aperture wheel and my finger on the SS dial.  ISO is just a finger push away.

I think you just proved the OP's point.  It takes practice and skill to do that, not to mention the right camera. I don't think that sort of finger dexterity is possible on the SL-1, not enough buttons.

BTW, why do you use auto focus?  Just kdding.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

"BTW, why do you use auto focus?"

Because I am old.  I spent 75% of my career without AF.  I never missed it and I am not "kidding"!

The mere act of adding someting that has "auto" in its name defeats the term "manual".  It is no longer manual.

BTW all the Red Moon shots is posted are manual focus.  Smiley Happy

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

"Because I am old.  I spent 75% of my career without AF.  I never missed it and I am not "kidding"!"

Old?  HaHa  You and me, both.  My fingers have gotten to old to do that sort of stuff.  I think of it as "semi-manual" when I put the ISO into AUTO.  It's comes in handy when I'm not taking time to compose shots in varying light conditions, which is almost whenever I'm not using a tripod.

I find it useful when taking pictures of youth tackle football games on a variable cloudy day.  It comes in handy at outdoor social events, too.  Besides, my bad eyes cannot see that exposure bar graph in the viewfinder very well, anyway.  And, the sun makes it hard to see the viewfinder, too.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

"I find it useful ..."

I didn't say it wasn't useful.  I only maintain it is not "manual".  Smiley Frustrated

EB

@ebiggs1 wrote:

"I find it useful ..."

I didn't say it wasn't useful.  I only maintain it is not "manual".  Smiley Frustrated

Right you are! If you don't have to slide the glass plate into the camera and light the flash powder with a glowing stick, it isn't manual.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

There is a sizeable difference between "manual" and ......

ar·cha·ic
adjective

1. very old or old-fashioned.

synonyms:obsolete, out of date, old-fashioned, outmoded, behind the times, bygone,anachronistic, antiquated, superannuated, antediluvian, old world, old-fangled

• (of a word or a style of language) no longer in everyday use but sometimes used to impart an old-fashioned flavor.
    • of an early period of art or culture, especially the 7th–6th centuries BC in Greece.
      "the archaic temple at Corinth"
EB
Announcements