cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does the SL1 support Auto-ISO in manual mode?

Kiyoris
Contributor

Hi there,

Does the SL1 meter properly in manual mode and change AUTO ISO?

Thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

Yes it does.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

Yes it does.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

thank you hoffman

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

This question has been asked a couple times and I still don't understand, why?  Manual is manual, so why do you want anything 'auto'?  Smiley Frustrated

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

"This question has been asked a couple times and I still don't understand, why?  Manual is manual, so why do you want anything 'auto'? "

M+Auto ISO is the only mode that allows you to lock down both shutter speed AND aperture, while still metering a scene and have ISO determine exposure.

It basically turns manual mode into |Shutter+Aperture| Priority.

Yes, you can set shutter and aperture in manual, but it's manual, M+Auto ISO is not manual anymore, you give the camera control of ISO, which is incredibly helpful, because your camera starts metering the scene and the camera now determines correct exposure.

Since the SL1 doesn't have a minimum shutter setting, it would come in handy.

M+Auto ISO, is similar to Apeture priority+minimum shutter+AutoISO. But the SL1 does not have minimum shutter I read.

@ebiggs1 wrote:

This question has been asked a couple times and I still don't understand, why?  Manual is manual, so why do you want anything 'auto'?  Smiley Frustrated

Speed, for one.  New users are not accustomed to the myriad of camera settings.  It takes practice to read the exposure measurement in the viewfinder, too. 

Putting ISO into "AUTO" is also a great teaching tool.  As noted above, it allows you to put the camera into a shutter and aperture priority mode.  It's a big help towards learning the effects of how each side of the "Exposure Triangle" interact with one another.  You can literally change shutter or aperture one click, and then see the ISO change by a click.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Nod, I highly value this option.

For me it is basically, I want to shoot at f/8-f/16 and have a shutter of at least 1/320.

I can do this in manual, but I don't want to do the metering myself.

I can try this in Aperture priority, by locking down ISO at 1600 and hope that results in a fast shutter speed.

But the best option is me being able to set both my shutter speed and aperture, and have the camera set exposure through Auto-ISO.

(the other option is minimum shutter in Ap, but SL1 does not support min shutter I read)

"I can do this in manual, but I don't want to do the metering myself."

Than you don't really want manual.  Do you?

EB

@ebiggs1 wrote:

"I can do this in manual, but I don't want to do the metering myself."

Than you don't really want manual.  Do you?

You are entirely correct, that's why people like Manual+Auto ISO, because it is not like "traditional" manual where you have to meter the scene yourself.

M+Auto ISO is no longer "manual". The cameras that support it engage the metering engine and the exposure will be correct because the camera will change ISO.

If you hold a camera that supports M+Auto ISO to the sky, you will see ISO go down, if you hold it to the ground, ISO will go up, M+Auto ISO, for all intended purposes, is no longer manual in the traditional sense (even though your dial is set to "manual").

M+Auto ISO is a way to FIX your Aperture and Shutter speed to a specific number, and let the camera determine correct exposure by allowing it to set ISO by enabling Auto ISO.

No other camera setting allows you to fix aperture AND shutter, while still letting the camera meter and expose the scene correctly through variable ISO, only M+Auto ISO allows you to do this.

The fact you have complete control over aperture and shutter speed, while still being able to shoot any scene with correct exposure at a fraction of a second, because the camera is dialing in ISO, is why this setting is increasingly popular and why more and more manufacturers are starting to support it.

Not only that, many cameras now support exposure compensation in M+Auto ISO, making it one of the most powerful modes you can use. You have complete control over your Aperture and Shutter settings, yet, you are still engaging the metering engine of the camera and you get access to exposure compensation.

To each their own I guess.

I have complete manual control with the ISO set and my thumb on the aperture wheel and my finger on the SS dial.  ISO is just a finger push away.

EB
Announcements