cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do I need a UV filter on my SL2

wchettel
Enthusiast

Hello folks! I just purchased a Canon EOS Rebel SL2 3-lens Bundle from COSTCO. I've read several articles / discussions online that say that using a UV filter Improves the quality of outdoor shots and also helps to protect the main lens from accidental damage. I've also read a few that say that UV protection is built-in to most DSLR cameras nowadays and that the use of a UV filter is not necessary.

Based on your experience, do I need to use a UV filter on my SL2?

--
Walter
in Davie, FL
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Is there a source other than Amazon to purchase the B & W Nano Clear filters that you prefer? Two of my lenses have the same diameter for filter size, so that helps.

And how about the hoods? There are flower-shaped hoods and tapered cylindrical-shaped hoods - which to get? Each of the lenses I have requires a different hood.

I can order all of this from Amazon, but is there a better place to buy? I have an Amazon-branded Visa card that pays nice cash rewards!

You would want a hood that is custom made for a particular lens.  The shape is carefully designed to remain just outside of view.  Most generic hoods show up at the edges of your photos.  I buy all of my Canon gear either direct from Canon, or from B&H in NYC.  There are other excellent vendors out there, but I have excellent service with these two.

[Links to B&H photo removed per forum policy.  Replaced with screenshots of products offered at the corresponding links.]

BH1.JPG

BH2.JPG

The only lens I would buy a filter for would be the EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM.  It has a list price of $250.  I think a $25 filter would be a good thing.  The hood you need for this lens can be found at the above link, EW-63C.

The Canon hood can be mounted in a reversed orientation for storage in your camera bag.  Cheap hoods cannot do that.   You may want to look for used hoods at KEH.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

View solution in original post

20 REPLIES 20

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

Nearly all image sensor assemblies in digital cameras have a UV filter.  I only use B+W Nano Clear filters.

This topic inevitably generates some debate. First however, you are not getting a filter for your camera but for the lens attached to it.

No matter what the lens is, it is cheaper to replace a filter on the front of the lens than to replace damage to the front element of your lens. So I alway have a protective filter on my lenses. I agree with the last response that there is no point in putting a cheap lens (plastic or glass) with dubious optical quality on a lens. Whether that is a clear protective or UV0 lens probably depends on price and availability.

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"...the use of a UV filter is not necessary."

It is unnecessary and will not improve anything. The truth is, it may make things worse. 

I can almost guarantee that!

Tell me what exactly does this include? "I just purchased a Canon EOS Rebel SL2 3-lens Bundle from COSTCO."

Most of the time these 'bundles' or 'kits' are worthless.  I hope you got one that is good and worth what you paid for it.

As far as using a filter for lens protection, you need to weigh the cost of the lens and the cost of a top quality protecto filter. It makes little sense to put a $50 protecto filter on a $100 kit lens for example.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Thanks for your feedback on the UV lens filter. And FYI, here's a link to the Costco page that describes what I got. Except, it was $599 when I bought it. It's all genuine Canon with with Canon warranties.

Costco1.JPG

Costco2.JPG

[link removed per forum guidelines; replaced with screenshots from linked site to facilitate conversation]

--
Walter
in Davie, FL

I looked at that link just out of curiosity as I am not in the market for a camera. The product page did not go into details on the 3 lenses included in the kit On the reviews, a common complaint was with the 75-300mm lens. Some said it is an outdated model with no IS and one said that that lens was made for film and not a digital camera? Is that possible?

@John_ wrote:

I looked at that link just out of curiosity as I am not in the market for a camera. The product page did not go into details on the 3 lenses included in the kit On the reviews, a common complaint was with the 75-300mm lens. Some said it is an outdated model with no IS and one said that that lens was made for film and not a digital camera? Is that possible?

FYI, here's a little more info on the lenses.

• The 18-55mm Standard Zoom Lens is an EF-S 18-55mm 1:4-5.6 IS STM lens.
  • The 50mm Portrait Lens is an EF 50mm 1:1.8 STM lens. It has no stabilization.
  • The 75-300mm Long Zoom Lens is an EF 75-300mm 1:4-5.6 III lens. It has no stabilization and I Ihave no way of knowing if it was made for film and not digital. I will use it on a tripod.

These lenses are probably not what you would choose for your camera, but I'm confident that they'll be more than adequate for my simple needs. After all, it's only an entry level SL2 DSLR. They are genuine Canon lenses with warranties and serial numbers. And, if one of them does not work out well, I can always return the whole thing to Costco for a refund!

I only wanted a better camera than what I had in my cell phone. I enjoy taking pics of the moon and stars which I couldn't do on my phone camera.

--
Walter
in Davie, FL

"The 18-55mm Standard Zoom Lens is an EF-S 18-55mm 1:4-5.6 IS STM lens.

The 50mm Portrait Lens is an EF 50mm 1:1.8 STM lens.

The 75-300mm Long Zoom Lens is an EF 75-300mm 1:4-5.6 III lens"

IMHO, I would not filter any of these lenses.  Just enjoy what you have and shoot away.

BTW, no Canon 50mil has IS.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@ebiggs1 wrote:

IMHO, I would not filter any of these lenses.  Just enjoy what you have and shoot away.

The filters are all under $30.  Well worth it for the 18-55mm.

What about hoods?  I would want a hood for the 18-55mm, which is less than $25.  I think you should have a hood.

@Waddizzle wrote:

@ebiggs1 wrote:

The filters are all under $30.  Well worth it for the 18-55mm.

What about hoods?  I would want a hood for the 18-55mm, which is less than $25.  I think you should have a hood.

Thank you for your response Waddizzle!

Is there a source other than Amazon to purchase the B & W Nano Clear filters that you prefer? Two of my lenses have the same diameter for filter size, so that helps.

And how about the hoods? There are flower-shaped hoods and tapered cylindrical-shaped hoods - which to get? Each of the lenses I have requires a different hood.

I can order all of this from Amazon, but is there a better place to buy? I have an Amazon-branded Visa card that pays nice cash rewards!

Thanks again! I appreciate your advice.

--
Walter
in Davie, FL
Announcements