cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dark usually triangular shaped "veil" in the upper half of the image.

annebe
Contributor

Hello,

when I take a photograph, a dark usually triangular shaped "veil" hides the upper half of the image, as if  the shutter action triggered a piece of the camera to fall in front of the mirror. The problem is with the camera itself, not the lens.

When I press the shutter several times, I am able to take a few "clean" pictures, before the problem appears again.

Thanks for your help.

Anne-B

9 REPLIES 9

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

Post an image and we'll try to figure out what it might be.  When you post a response, just above the text input window there are several icons.  There is a very tiny icon of a tree (just right of the chain-links) -- when you mouse over it, it should display the tip "Insert/Edit Image" and you can use that to include an image.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

Try taking a picture in live view. If the mirror's out of the way you should get a shadow free pic. If the camera won't go into live view it might be a mirror problem. Have you taken the lens off to look for anything obvious, or tried another lens? If you still get this in live view it could be debris that's broken off or something in the lens. I had a live insect in my Tamron 28-80. Thankfully it must have came out the same way it got in. It didn't affect IQ.

Thank you very much for your suggestions.

I took  the lens off and everything looked perfect in the camera. Nothing looked broken.

It is not the lens. I took pictures without it and the problem was there.

Right now, after pressing the shutter many times, the pictures I take are fine so everything looks perfect on live view.

But tomorrow, or even today after I take several more, the "veil" will most probably appear again.

Are you by chance using a flash? And would your shutter speed happen to be above your cameras max flash-sync speed (usually that's 1/200th but it's based on your camera model)?

If so, this might explain what you are seeing.
Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

Thanks. No, I am not using a flash.

You can go into the camera menu and find the option to enable manual cleaning mode. This mode causes the reflex mirror to swing up and also opens the curtain shutter (normally so that you can manually clean the camera.) This would allow you to inspect the inside and determine if there is something out of place inside the camera.
Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

Thank you. I followed your advice and everything looked perfect inside!

Which camera model is this and do you happen to own any other lenses?

Swapping lenses would be a straight-forward way to pin down the issue to a lens (if it is a lens).  For example... possibly one of the aperture blades on the lens is not working correctly.

You can test the aperture blades but switching the camera to Manual mode, dial in a high f-stop number (e.g. f/16) and then press the DoF preview button.  Exactly where this button is located depends on your camera model.  On my T1i and 5D II it was a small button on front of the camera just a little below the lens-release.  On my 60Da and 5D III it's on the opposite side of the lens -- (still on the front, but on the right side of the lens instead of the left.)

This button causes the aperture blades to swing in to stop down to whatever f-stop you selected (because regardless of f-stop, the aperture blades are normally fully retracted, and slide in only when the camera is taking the shot.)  If you look through the viewfinder when you do this, you'll see the display get dim (because it's blocking more light).  If you're looking through the front of the lens when you do this, you will usually see the aperture opening get tiny.   If one blade is sticking then you would hopefully be able to notice it.

Incidentally... do this with the flash switched off.  If your camera has a pop-up flash and it's up then that same button causes the flash to light up for about 1 second.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

Thanks. I will try that tomorrow.

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements