cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DPI

dskolberg
Apprentice

So then when a gallery asks for images of my paintings at 300dpi what do I do.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

TTMartin
Authority
Authority

@dskolberg wrote:

Unless you are using a flatbed scanner large enough to scan the painting at 300 dpi, don't worry about it.
If you are giving them a photo of the work you are limited by the megapixels of the camera. And then the DPI doesn't matter.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

What post processing software are you using?  You can set a "DPI" value in an image file's metadata.  See Resolution below.

PaintDotNet_Resize.PNG

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

I use Gimp and/or zoner

@dskolberg wrote:

I use Gimp and/or zoner

I am not familiar with either one of those.  Perhaps someone who is can help.  I posted an image of a screenshot from the freeware application PaintDOTNet.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

TTMartin
Authority
Authority

@dskolberg wrote:

Unless you are using a flatbed scanner large enough to scan the painting at 300 dpi, don't worry about it.
If you are giving them a photo of the work you are limited by the megapixels of the camera. And then the DPI doesn't matter.

Peter
Authority
Authority

@Peter wrote:
Image>scale image.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=8S2cnZ2QR70

They are half tone DOTS, not spots. Because, half tone dots were created using an analog process (photographically through an actual physical screen) and existed long before printer dots came into play. 

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

DPI stands for Dots Per Inch. DPI is often misused. If someone says they want a photo that is 300 dpi what they really mean is they want 300 PPI.

A digital photo has no PPI (or DPI).   PPI only happens when the photo is printed.

The resolution of a digital photo is in pixels or commonly MP.  To further complicate this most modern software like PS and LR and Gimp use 300 DPI to refer as a high resolution photo.  They all have a menu where this can be set.  It is found in the Printer Settings.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

Do the calculation. If the image is 10 x 12, then the image needs to be 3000 x 3600 pixels (the number of inches x the dpi).

If you have really large canvases you might have to take multiple pictures and mrege them for 300 dpi.

Announcements