cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cost to repair or replace sticky shutter?

lamerkramer
Contributor

White band or streak across the top of all of my photos from my research tells me I have a sticky shutter. In LIVE view mode (not looking through the viewfinder), there is no white band across the top of the photo. And when I shoot looking through the viewfinder (not LIVE view mode) and do burst of shots, then only first photo in the series of photos has the white band across the top. How much does it cost to repair or replace a sticky shutter? Strange how it doesn't happen in LIVE view mode using the LCD screen as the viewfinder. How much does Canon charge or should I contact local Tampa Bay area camera shops for estimates? I found a workaround. Crop the white band off the top when photo editing or shoot everything in LIVE view mode using the LCD screen as the viewfinder.

33 REPLIES 33

Thanks for the pricing information on the T5i shutter assembly. I read a comment Facebook from a fellow photographer and she recently had her camera cleaned at the shop I'm planning to use and she said they did a great job. I wouldn't be surprised if some of our local newspaper photographers use that same camera repair shop on Central Ave in St. Petersburg, Florida. That's probably how our son found out about them for camera sensor cleaning as he shot alongside other members of the media when he shot and shoots pro sports in Tampa Bay.

Without any hidden surprises once they open it up you should be ok and they have to be very experienced to quote that price. Figure the cost of labor to remove and replace, the part and any calibration it may need there is no wiggle room for them. They must do a good volume of services for that area. There is a local garage I use for my car here and their prices are incredibly low, sometimes for minor things, it is zero but they have a large following and are always very busy.

@lamerkramer wrote:

Thanks for the pricing information on the T5i shutter assembly. I read a comment Facebook from a fellow photographer and she recently had her camera cleaned at the shop I'm planning to use and she said they did a great job. I wouldn't be surprised if some of our local newspaper photographers use that same camera repair shop on Central Ave in St. Petersburg, Florida. That's probably how our son found out about them for camera sensor cleaning as he shot alongside other members of the media when he shot and shoots pro sports in Tampa Bay.

If you trust the repair shop, then go for it.  I think you could be making some false assumptions, though.  Trust, but verify.  You are probably correct that your son was told about the shop by some pros.  But, that advice he received may only apply to having your sensor cleaned.  Doing an actual sensor replacement is a horse of a different color.  Some places outsource camera repairs.  They mail it to Canon, or somewhere, and then charge you a fee for doing so.

Has anyone mentioned Canon’s Loyalty program?  Contact Canon Service, and ask about it.  

You may also want to check out the cost of used cameras at reputable dealers like KEH.  I think I heard a $300 figure being tossed around as an estimated cost of repair, which can go higher when you consider insuring and shipping the camera off to Canon, or somewhere.  You can buy a used T5i for that price, and a better camera for just a little more.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

lamerkramer
Contributor

FINAL UPDATE: The Camera Cure on Central Ave. in St. Petersburg, Florida sent the camera out for repair. $190 + tax, so $203 later I have my camera back with a new shutter and a clean sensor. It took about two weeks from the day I dropped it off, but I'm happy. 90 warranty on the repair, too. I'll be using my camera today for the frist time in 3 weeks. YAY!!!

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements