cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cost to repair or replace sticky shutter?

lamerkramer
Contributor

White band or streak across the top of all of my photos from my research tells me I have a sticky shutter. In LIVE view mode (not looking through the viewfinder), there is no white band across the top of the photo. And when I shoot looking through the viewfinder (not LIVE view mode) and do burst of shots, then only first photo in the series of photos has the white band across the top. How much does it cost to repair or replace a sticky shutter? Strange how it doesn't happen in LIVE view mode using the LCD screen as the viewfinder. How much does Canon charge or should I contact local Tampa Bay area camera shops for estimates? I found a workaround. Crop the white band off the top when photo editing or shoot everything in LIVE view mode using the LCD screen as the viewfinder.

33 REPLIES 33

I posted a sample photo of a photo that shows the sticky shutter (assuming it's a sticky shutter) result at the top of the photo. Notice the wide white band at the top of the photo.

A stuck shutter would create a black space across the whole picture, I am not sure what that is. Almost looks like a light leak.

"My camera is rated for 100,000 shots, but since I purchased it refurbished, maybe it already had shots on it?"

I highly doubt your camera had very many clicks when you bought it.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

lamerkramer
Contributor

I've been doing further testing of my camera body and shutter. I noticed that I don't see the whilte bar across the top of the photo as slower shutter speeds, say 1/4 or slower. Possibly 1/8 or slower. And I don't see the wide white bar on the second, third, fourth, fifth photos, and on, after the first photo on a continous burst where I hold the shutter button down for a rapid shoot. And I don't notice the wide white bar in LIVE mode when I shoot, not using the viewfinder, but using the LCD screen on the back of the camera.

Don't kid yourself that's a bad shutter. Plain and simple.

EB

lamerkramer
Contributor
I got an estimate of $92.00 for repair based upon my description from Camera Repair Center in Glendale, CA. They also said shutter needs replacement and calibration and alignment. Now I need to research Camera Repair Center reviews.

@lamerkramer wrote:
I got an estimate of $92.00 for repair based upon my description from Camera Repair Center in Glendale, CA. They also said shutter needs replacement and calibration and alignment. Now I need to research Camera Repair Center reviews.

I suggest that you let Canon repair the camera.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

$92 is suspiciously low. I would guess that "estimate" will grow much larger once they get their hands on the camera. Are they an authorized Canon repair shop? You can verify that with Canon but if you are willing to sink money into an old model I would agree, send it to Canon.

"I got an estimate of $92.00 for repair ..."

Based on a very limited knowledge of shutter replacement, that is too cheap. I would certainly be concerned that they are really replacing a shutter for that amount.

EB

Either call Canon 1 (800) 652-2666 or give Midwest Camera Repair a call. Canon is best Midwest is good.

You need to be careful since a used replacement T5i is going for around $200 to $250. Remember you have a used T5i so a used replacement is a good option.  A better option at this point is to think upgrade?

EB
Announcements