cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cost to repair or replace sticky shutter?

lamerkramer
Contributor

White band or streak across the top of all of my photos from my research tells me I have a sticky shutter. In LIVE view mode (not looking through the viewfinder), there is no white band across the top of the photo. And when I shoot looking through the viewfinder (not LIVE view mode) and do burst of shots, then only first photo in the series of photos has the white band across the top. How much does it cost to repair or replace a sticky shutter? Strange how it doesn't happen in LIVE view mode using the LCD screen as the viewfinder. How much does Canon charge or should I contact local Tampa Bay area camera shops for estimates? I found a workaround. Crop the white band off the top when photo editing or shoot everything in LIVE view mode using the LCD screen as the viewfinder.

33 REPLIES 33

lamerkramer
Contributor

I forgot to mention I have a Canon Rebel T5i camera body.

Our Crystal Ball is broken today.

Canon factory service

Or you can get it done at a authorized repair center

How much does it cost.  Ask Canon.  Anything else is speculation.  Suggest you stick with factory service,.  Quality parts, done right and has a warranty. 

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10

~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8 ~CarePaks Are Worth It

"I forgot to mention I have a Canon Rebel T5i camera body."

You have to consider the cost to replace in addition to the cost of repair.  At this point I imagine the cost of replacement is close to or equal to repair cost. Possibly It is even greater.  That makes a T5i a poor candidate for repair if Canon still services the T5i which I doubt. A quick call to 1 (800) 652-2666 is your next step.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

John_
Authority

Which camera do you have and how old is it? That will help to determine if it is even worth repairing rather than replacing. Repairs are expensive.

lamerkramer
Contributor
I have a Canon Rebel T5i purchased on Black Friday 2016 from the Canon USA online refurbished store. It was part of a bundle. $429 for camera with 18-55mm and 55-250mm lenses, battery, battery charger, camera strap all for $429 with free shipping, but all refurbished camera body and lenses with one year warranty from Canon direct.

Out of warranty for sure.  How have you verified the shutter is "sticky"

Canon does have a trade up program.  May be worth while if the repair turns out to be costly.

Many of my Canon lenses are refrubs.  Never had an issue. 

This may not be representative of actual cost.  Better to check tor yourself.  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10

~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8 ~CarePaks Are Worth It

lamerkramer
Contributor
I read on another Q&A in this community forum that a white band across the top of the photo means a shutter problem. One answer mentioned a sticky shutter. I talked to the owner of a camera repair shop on Facebook. He said first take out the battery for 24 hours and then try it. He also said the shutter gears are plastic so they will not last forever. My camera is rated for 100,000 shots, but since I purchased it refurbished, maybe it already had shots on it?

If you could post one of the problem pictures here it might be helpful. I had heard that a stuck shutter could be un-stuck by setting up a long exposure, say 15 seconds, take the shot and in the middle of the exposure open the battery compartment to abruptly stop the exposure. Seems that "jolt" of removing the power was enough to un-stick some peoples shutters. Some had to do that a couple of times.

IMG_6642.JPG

Announcements