cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Corrupt SD Card???

Tiak
Apprentice

I have a Rebel t3. I've had it for a few years and have not had any issue. But lately, I've bought new sd cards and have never been prompted to format them before. Now EVERY new one I buy, I take pics on it and it asks be to format. I lost over 100 pics from Easter and I don't want to lose the ones from Mother's day. I don't know if it's the camera or not. Does anyone else have this issue??? Please please please help!!

6 REPLIES 6

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@Tiak wrote:

I have a Rebel t3. I've had it for a few years and have not had any issue. But lately, I've bought new sd cards and have never been prompted to format them before. Now EVERY new one I buy, I take pics on it and it asks be to format. I lost over 100 pics from Easter and I don't want to lose the ones from Mother's day. I don't know if it's the camera or not. Does anyone else have this issue??? Please please please help!!

It would help to know what brand and model of SD card you are trying to use.  With a T3, I do not advise using micro-SD cards  with adapters.  I suggest that you only use UHS-1, Class 10 cards like the SanDisk Extreme, 32GB or smaller.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Tiak
Apprentice
Thank you for responding. I only use Sandisk. This one was a 16GB. And the reason I ask is because it's done this before with a different card. Same brand. So I wasn't sure if it was the camera.

@Tiak wrote:
Thank you for responding. I only use Sandisk. This one was a 16GB. And the reason I ask is because it's done this before with a different card. Same brand. So I wasn't sure if it was the camera.

New cards should always be formatted in the camera prior to first use.  Cards do not come pre-formatted.  The formatting that seems to be present on a new card is typically residue from production testing, and needs to be completely wiped.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

" I lost over 100 pics from Easter and I don't want to lose the ones from Mother's day."

First get the SD card out of the camera.  Use a card reader from your computer.  Try to see if the photos are there. You did format the new SD card before you started shooting the first time?  If you didn't there aren't any photos on it.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Thank you for responding. I did put it in the reader in the computer and I instantly get a message to format the disk. This disk was formatted. And when I looked the pics initially on the camera, they were all there. And then when I put it back in the camera it said there were no files to view. Is there ANYTHING that I can do!!??

Thanks again for your input. Both of you!

Yes, one thing.  Sandisk has some recovery software.  You can try it and sometimes it works well.  Formatting the disk is a hard thing to reverse.  Go to Sandisk web site and look for the recovery section.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements