cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Colored Shapes Showing up on my pictures

Sharonind1279
Contributor

I have a Canon EOS Rebel. Recently when I'm taking pictures gold, green & red hexagon shapes show up randomly in the pictures. Can anyone help to let me know how to fix this? Thanks.

13 REPLIES 13

A lens hood will help... but in the absence of a hood ... just shield front of the lens from direct sunlight (even if that means holding a sheet of paper just out of the frame to shade the front of the lens.). 

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

I believe that a hat is the sunshade of choice. 8^)

"Alan Myers"

Curious, do you leave that watermark on all your shots?

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

At low focal ratios, a point of light will blur in the shape of your camera lens aperture blades.  E.g. if you have a 6-blade aperture, then the opening would be in the shape of a hexagon.  Some camera lenses have enough aperture blades and round the edges enough that they create a near circular shape.

An out-of-focus traffic signal would likely look like a green, yellow, or red hexagon (depending on which light was illuminated at the time ... since traffic lights hopefully don't have all lights on at the same time or chaos would ensue.) 

A lot of people really take advantage of this with strings of holiday lights.  A focused subject in the foreground with something that has holiday lights in the background, will typically result in this effect.

There are even people who go so far as to create "designer" aperture shapes.  E.g. take a black card, cut a small shape out of it (say... a heart-shape) and put that in front of your lens.  When you take a photo, the out-of-focus points of light will blur into that heart-shape.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da
Announcements