cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cold weather camping?

Rainwetzel
Apprentice
My school plans to go on a camping trip overnight at the Antietam battlefield in December. There will be lots of opportunities for good pictures but I want to know if my canon rebel t5i will be okay overnight in my tent? There's no where else to put it that is warmer.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

Cold weather is generally not a problem.  Moisture can potentially be a problem depending on camera but it's easy to keep a camera dry even if it's in the cold.  But bring a way to keep the camera dry just in case of rain.

Lithium batteries can handle very cold temps (temps in which alkaline batteries would freeze... a Lithium battery will keep going.)  However they will work better if warm.   So... if you have a spare battery then keep it in an inside (warm) pocket.  If you don't have a spare battery then put your battery in an inside (warm) pocket when not shooting.  

You probably wont need to worry about the battery... the weather almanac (using Baltimore) says average winter temps are lows of 27ºF and high of 46ºF.  I don't think you'll have battery problems factory-original lithium polymer batteries in those temps.

YOU might appreciate a pair of photo gloves.  These are gloves in which either the thumb & index fingers can be uncovered to make it easier to operate the camera (or some variation on the design) but covered to keep your fingers warm when not shooting.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

Cold weather is generally not a problem.  Moisture can potentially be a problem depending on camera but it's easy to keep a camera dry even if it's in the cold.  But bring a way to keep the camera dry just in case of rain.

Lithium batteries can handle very cold temps (temps in which alkaline batteries would freeze... a Lithium battery will keep going.)  However they will work better if warm.   So... if you have a spare battery then keep it in an inside (warm) pocket.  If you don't have a spare battery then put your battery in an inside (warm) pocket when not shooting.  

You probably wont need to worry about the battery... the weather almanac (using Baltimore) says average winter temps are lows of 27ºF and high of 46ºF.  I don't think you'll have battery problems factory-original lithium polymer batteries in those temps.

YOU might appreciate a pair of photo gloves.  These are gloves in which either the thumb & index fingers can be uncovered to make it easier to operate the camera (or some variation on the design) but covered to keep your fingers warm when not shooting.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

Rainwetzel
Apprentice
I have a nice camera bag and it is just an overnight trip so I think I will be good based on everything you guys said, thanks!
Announcements