cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Clock Battery in SL1

rdong
Apprentice

Does anyone know how to change clock battery in SL1?

7 REPLIES 7

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

I believe the Rebel series do not have a replaceable backup battery.

The battery is kept charged by the maon battery.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

If you do not use the Rebel for long periods of time or you don't use it for long each time you do use it, the clock battery may not charge.  This may look like it is not working but in fact it is OK.  Turn the camera on and leave it on overnight.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Thanks.

The camera got dipped in a beautiful Maui waterfall for a few seconds.  After it dried out, everything seems to work fine except that it doesn't keep the time.  I left it on last night, but I guess it turned off by itself.  I disable the power saving and will leave it on tonight.

"Dipping" in water, no matter how beautiful it may be, is always a bad idea.  

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Get a large zip lock bag. Put the camera in. Fill the rest of the space with desiccant. Seal it. Leave it in there for about a month.

If it's possible for watr to get in, then it's possible for the desiccant to pull it back out.

Good luck.

Btw, I had this happen with a phone. I thought it was ruined because it was still misbehaving after just a few days of drying. But after a month or so of drying, it returned to normal.
Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

I air dried the camera until I got home.  I put the camera and lens in a zip bag with rice for about 3 days.  The camera and lens worked fine until I take out the battery (even momentarily.)  It goes back to the rice bag and I'll test in another week.

Maybe the internal battery (or just capacitors?) was damaged when shorted in water.

georgefrederick
Apprentice

20220206_002114.jpg

20220206_001903.jpgThis tiny battery is located on the SL1 main board just above the SD card slot. I believe only a Canon service center or a camera repair shop can replace it. My SL1 was bought when they were introduced. Never had an issue. I only know about this battery as I was given a sand and water damaged SL1 to check out and the board was fried. So I have disassembled an SL1 to the last screw.

4 x 7Dmk1, 1 each 5Dmk2, 5Dmk4, 5Ds  5DsR, 6Dmk1, SL1, A1, A2 & lots of lenses. I run ML on 1 7D. 

Announcements