For Canon EOS 100D
I have 2 Chargers
1 says Canon Battery Charger
In 100 to 240V 50/60Hz
Out 8.4V 0.54A

The other says:
In Same as above
Out 8.4 v 600mA

Is there a Difference and which one would be better or are they even better ones?

As for the Batteries I have 2
Canon LP E 12
7.2 V 875mAh

Formax LP E 12
7.4 V 1200mAh

Which one would be better?
I am asking as both do not seem to charge very full. When put back into the Camera the bars show about 3/4 full but never completely full.Can it be that after a while Batteries do not charge full anymore.Any advice on which Charger and Battery to buy IF i need a new one?

10 REPLIES 10

wq9nsc
Authority
Authority

I stick with Canon branded chargers and batteries for my camera gear; they are more expensive but given the price of cameras I prefer the original.  The one exception for me is I bought an aftermarket charger for my Canon XF-400 camcorder to allow charging of the second battery outside of the camera and to be able to charge from a vehicle power port.  Some people have had good experiences with aftermarket batteries but the only ones I tried were some highly reviewed ones on Amazon that do hold a charge well and work under most conditions but caused my 1D Mark II to lock up when shooting a sustained burst at the maximum frame rate because the aftermarket battery voltage drops too much under sustained load.  A new pair of real Canon batteries cured that issue.

As batteries age, cell imbalance prevents charging to a full level and leads to short battery life, rapid self-discharge, and equipment malfunction due to voltage drop.

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

A 100D is the SL1 here in the US. 

The camera uses a LP-E12

What do we recommend, Canon brand (charger and batteries)

What do I recommend, Canon brand, or watson.  I have 2 of each.  I have not had any issues with the watson batteries,  charging, compatibility, or with their ability to operate and deliver power. 

If your batteries cannot be fully charged after 1-3 attempts.  Charge, use to full depletion, charge again, fully deplete, then charge again, its time to replace them.   

Most will tell you to buy Canon, and so will I.    

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Chargers are more reliable than batteries. If the charger works at all, it is probably just fine. Stil, I would only use the original Canon Brand charger. The one that says "Out 8.4V 0.54A" is probaly the original Canon. 

Batteries do lose effieciency and should be replaced over time. I also use only Canon batteries but there are some third party batteries that get good reviews.

The  milliampere hour (mAh) ratings of Non-Canon batteries are highly optimistic. I would not pay much attention to the actual number as third party sellers will inflate the actual number hoping you will buy their brand. 

Mike Sowsun

@manfredk wrote:

Hi All
For Canon EOS 100D
I have 2 Chargers
1 says Canon Battery Charger
In 100 to 240V 50/60Hz
Out 8.4V 0.54A

The other says:
In Same as above
Out 8.4 v 600mA

Is there a Difference and which one would be better or are they even better ones?

As for the Batteries I have 2
Canon LP E 12
7.2 V 875mAh

Formax LP E 12
7.4 V 1200mAh

Which one would be better?
I am asking as both do not seem to charge very full. When put back into the Camera the bars show about 3/4 full but never completely full.Can it be that after a while Batteries do not charge full anymore.Any advice on which Charger and Battery to buy IF i need a new one?

The charger with a DC output of 600 milliamperes should charge a battery slightly faster than the one that puts out 540 milliamperes. I think it's unlikely that you'd notice the difference.

The battery that's good for 1200 milliampere hours should last somewhat longer between charges than the one that's good for only 875 milliampere hours. The fact that it operates at 7.4 volts, rather than 7.2 volts, contributes to that effect, because it takes fewer amperes (i.e., less current) at 7.4V than at 7.2V to deliver the same number of watts (i.e., the same amount of power).

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Here is the straight scoop.  A few off brand batteries work.  They offer nothing except lower price. Sometimes they don't last as long or have as good lifespan. And, they may not communicate with the camera. You do need to be careful when buying off brand batteries because some are not only not good, they can damage your camera. Watson and Wasabi seems like a decent brand.

I, and Canon, do not recommend you use any off brand batteries or chargers. I, personally, use only Canon brand batteries and chargers myself.

There is another problem to deal with, counterfeit batteries.  They are all junk and difficult to spot. This means you need to buy from known good retailers.  click here  My advice always use Canon brand and buy from a a trusted store or from Canon.

"...the bars show about 3/4 full but never completely"

In your case I would trash all that stuff and buy the real deal. Get a new charger and battery and make sure it is real Canon.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Sorry, but I don't know how to create a new question, but since this post is about batteries and chargers I'll ask you.

I have a new Canon EOS Rebel camera with an LP-E10 battery. The Canon 120V charger outputs 8.3V 0.58 amp.

I carry a battery pack in the car with a 37 Wh capacity and peak current of 400 amps in case I have to jump start it. (Actually I have two of them.) The battery pack has a 19V 3.5 amp outlet and a 5V 2 amp outlet. I would like to charge the LP-E10 with the battery pack when I'm away from home and 120V power isn't available. Would the battery pack safely charge the LP-E10 while the battery is still in the camera when connected with the proper cable to the 5V 2 amp outlet? What about if connected to the 19V 3.5 amp outlet? I shoot while tethered to a tablet with the EOS Utility program, so I will also use be using the battery pack to charge up the tablet as well.

Thanks in advance.

No and No. Get an inverter.

As KV stated, you cannot directly charge your LP-E10 from that power pack.  I am a big confused by the output rating of your pack, is it really producing 19 volts?  That is a very unusual rating if it is designed for starting a car which is the typical use for those devices which would normally produce an output in the 12-14 volt range under no load.

If it actually has an output in the nominal 12 volt range, then Watson (and probably others) make chargers for the Canon batteries that will run off either 120/240 VAC or 12VDC.  I bought one of the Watson chargers for the batteries I use in my Canon XF-400 camcorder so that I can charge them from 12 volts. It is a safe and effective charger, I got mine from B&H and have used it for several years to charge from both AC and DC sources.

A lot of the inverters sold are absolute junk so be careful if you go that route.

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

"No and No. Get an inverter."

Buy a couple more batteries.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements